Apricot/Pinnaple Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnstr71

Reaction score
Hello,

So I am going away from my normal pale ale and American ale routine and mixing it up for a couple beers.
I wanted to try a fruity beer for spring and have done the blue moon clone enough.
So I brewed up a batch of light ale and asked the guy at my lhbs about his apricot extract. He didn't recommend any of the fruit extracts, and told me use presearves or vodka soaked fruit. This sounded like a good idea to me. I have read reviews on fruiot extracts and a lot of them are negative. So, I bought some apricot/pinnaple presearve.
Brew shop guy recommended adding a jar in the primary after the croisen drops. Im not sure about this method as I think I would need to stir it and didn't want to bring all the yeast up off of bottom of fermenter.
I am thinking rack to secondary, then pitch a jar.
Anyone else do any fruit beers like this, lately? If so, what was your method? Thanks
Shawn

Drop the preserve in after the initial burst of fermentation in the primary has completed. (7-10 days) Did the same with apricot puree on a wheat base. Expect another 4-5 days of fermentation to kick off again.

Whenever I add fruit to beers I buy fresh fruit, cut it up, place it in a zip-lock bag, mash it up gently by hand, and place it in the freezer until I'm ready to put it in the beer.

I wait until the gravity falls and stabilizes then I drop the frozen fruit in. I let that sit in the fermenter until the taste I want is reached then I bottle o keg.

Freezing won't sanitize anything. I only do it to slow down growth of bacteria. All the surfaces and equipment used for cutting the fruit are cleaned and sanitized.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ive done a lot of fruit beer, mead, and cider. Ive never done more than rinse in water before freezing it and never had any unwanted infections.

Latest posts

Back