Appropriate Burner for 2.5 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KramE

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I currently brew indoors but I'm having trouble with steam management and I'm afraid of causing damage to my apartment added on with the wife not enjoying the increased moisture level.

So, I would like to move my system outdoors....

After rebuilding my system four times, which is as much as a hobby as brewing itself, my sweet spot are the half batches.

Any suggestions on the most fuel efficient burner capable of a 3.5 gallon boil?

SQ14 ans SP10 seem to popular choices for 5-10 gallons batches, anything better for a smaller brew?

Thanks!

M

I've used one of those green suitcase style Coleman camping stoves for batches that size and it worked fine.

Agreed. The Bayou units you mention are fine. I do 2-4 gallon batches all the time and have a couple of them. I use either an 8 gal SS kettle or a 6 gal Aluminum el-cheapo.

Agreed. The Bayou units you mention are fine. I do 2-4 gallon batches all the time and have a couple of them. I use either an 8 gal SS kettle or a 6 gal Aluminum el-cheapo.

How many batches can you get out of a 20# tank? Did you modify them in any way?

Last edited:
The SQ14 is pretty decent at low temps. I used it to hold mash temps before.

I don't have a solid number from my logs, but I can get at least 5-6 batches where I heat the strike, sparge, and boil waters with propane. If I BIAB with no separate sparge it's even more.

Not trying to hijack this but will the side burner on my propane grill work for outdoor boiling of small batches in the 2-3gal range?

How many BTUs is that side burner? Ive used a Coleman propane stove for doing 2 gallon extract boils.

My grills burner blows out with the slightest breeze, but it did get my strike water from 60 to 140 in about 10 minutes. Probably higher since it may have taken me a minute to notice I didn't have a flame.

Latest posts

Back