Apples wine grape alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayzum

Reaction score
Suuper excited at the moment. It's almost time to make apple wine. There is a massive glut of fruit around my area and I intend to make the most of it. My only thing is that I want to use something I can forage instead of concentrated grape juice or raisins for the base. Was thinking rose hips but I have read that rose hip wine takes ages to mature, which may be the
patient approach, but I would at leat like to try it at some point next year :) Any ideas or will I just have to use grape juice?

Also any tips would be great!

Thanks guys. Lots of recipes about call for grape or raisins so its good to know I can get away with apples and have a great taste.

I like crabapples (here is my crabapple wine recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/crabapple-wine-51010/) because they have a nice spicy apple flavor. I've also done this recipe with windfall apples, and as long as the apples are tart with great flavor, this recipe would work great for you. You don't want to use delicious apple varieties, but instead pie apples or cider apples.

Back