Applejack "scraps"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

60acresbrewclub

Reaction score
Normally, when I make applejack I reserve the apple water that does not seperate and rejack that a few times. This year I do not have space in the freezer thanks to the holidays...

So I drank some applewater and its bland but still sweet and tart. I can taste that its alcoholic, so like an idiot I broke out my hydrometer and I got the same reading as before I jacked it 1.000. That's when I realized there wass no sugar left before I jacked it there can't be anything for me to measure now.

Is there any way to measure alcohol content of the applewater? I feel like if I had weighed an ounce of it before seperating it I may have had a shot [after seperating it I had several shots ;)]

Any comments?

If there is only alcohol and water with no sugar, then a distillers' hydrometer will tell you how much alcohol is in the water. I once upon a time thought there was no alcohol left in the ice, I was wrong, there certainly was alcohol left in the ice.
Or what you could do is pour a can of FAJC into the ice after it melts and get plenty of O2 shook into it and in 3 or 4 weeks be on your way to some really nice apple cider vinegar. Or the faster way is to add the concentrate and set it someplace warm to get the fermentation restarted. Shake often, and then get a bottle of raw apple cider vinegar from the store and pour 1/2 of it into the cider and wait. Depending on the temperature your cider vinegar should be done in a couple of weeks. If you have never had good home made apple cider vinegar before, you have no idea how much it doesn't taste like the "regular" cheap crap from the store. YMMV.

Would you say leaving headspace is good for ACV? I have at least 5 gallons of applewater left I could split it between two 5gallons, two 3gallons, or top off a 5gallon and stick an airlock on it.

Back