Apple Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublejef

Reaction score
Hi there,

Do you guy know some kind of bible, book, internet site or any other source where I can find a list of apple varieties with specifications like acidity, tanin, juice density,...
I already found some in books I have but it is obviously not complete.

I have a list of apple I can get at the next season, some I already know like Boskoop, Golden, Jonagold, reine de Reinette, Rubinette that are all quite high in acidity but low in tanin and Harry Master's Jersey, Dabinnett that are low in acidity but high in tanin.

I think I can already get a good blend with all of those (don't I ?) but I have a lot of other possibilities and it could be safer to have B plan if some varieties are not doing well at automn.

Do you guys kno something about some of those apple :
AG80, Aq84, Braeburn, Cabarette, Coxubelle, Cwastresse, Decosta, Diskovery, Elstar, Galaxi, Gris-Braibant, Karmyn, Mairac, Melrose, Milset, Joseph Mush, Président Roulin, Reinette de Blenheim, Rubens, Rubinettes, Rubinola, Suntan, Topaz, Reinette de Waleffe, Wellant.

Cheers !

Jolicoeur has a chapter on The Varietal Selection which lists about 50 apples, some of which have their specifications listed but with others just a description without the numbers. A search on Dr Google will give you plenty of narrative about the characteristics of different apples.

I have found that getting the "right" varieties is a bit of a mission so I go on the taste of whatever I can get. Generally a good heap of any crab apples in the mix, does wonders.

Yep the info I get for my first list comes from the Jolicoeur's book.
I found some info from Google, Wikipedia,... but those are all about taste, trees, region of grow,... nothing on acid or tanin. I will keep searching for sure.
By the way, Boskoop, Golden, Jonagold, reine de Reinette, Rubinette, are all very high in acidity. So high that I must find apple that are pretty sweet to blend with, crab apple will probably make my blend a mouth killer because of acidity.

I've seen some university studies with the characteristics of individual apples listed, but not many of the apples on your list were included.
If you can figure out the basic categories the varieties are in you can sort out how to use them without knowing specific acidity and tannin levels.

The Book "Cider" by Annie Proulx and Lew Nichols gives this advice:

Neutral Base 30-60%
Tart 10-20%
Aromatic 10-20%
Astringent 5-20%

Some of the apples on your list I've heard of and been able to use, but it should be noted that the Dabinett I can get in my area and what you get are probably going to have different characteristics.
You should probably consider the issue of individual taste preferences.
Do you like a dry cider? Off dry? Maybe a French style that has more tannin?
Or something more neutral?
To further complicate matters, many apples improve with aging or "sweating" before pressing. Some apples will go bad in a few weeks and need to be pressed right away, others can be aged for months before you see any problems. Some apples can be left on the tree to ripen, some will fall off before they get ripe. Most commercial orchards pick the fruit before its fully ripe in so fruit damage is minimized.
If you taste an apple right off the tree, the flavor/characteristics are going to change by the time you press them.
If you have the space and time you can make single varieties of cider and then blend them when they are done fermenting, but that may not be a practical solution.
Are there any local cider making clubs or associations you can get involved with? If not keep track of what varieties you put in each batch and you'll learn by trial and error what you like and don't like.

madscientist451 said:
Neutral Base 30-60%
Tart 10-20%
Aromatic 10-20%
Astringent 5-20%
I also saw this blending advice but I can't really figure out what neutral and aromatic apple juice are. Il guess only practice can teach me what it means.
madscientist451] Do you like a dry cider? Off dry? Maybe a French style that has more tannin? Or something more neutral? [/QUOTE] Definitely not something neutral said:
To further complicate matters, many apples improve with aging or "sweating" before pressing. Some apples will go bad in a few weeks and need to be pressed right away, others can be aged for months before you see any problems. Some apples can be left on the tree to ripen, some will fall off before they get ripe. Most commercial orchards pick the fruit before its fully ripe in so fruit damage is minimized.
If you taste an apple right off the tree, the flavor/characteristics are going to change by the time you press them.
Things will be simple for me, all apples come from commercial orchards so will be pick on trees before fully ripe and be pressed right after.

madscientist451 said:
If you have the space and time you can make single varieties of cider and then blend them when they are done fermenting, but that may not be a practical solution.
I will probably do so but as I will buy the juice, I prefer to have a kind of plan and target.
madscientist451 said:
Are there any local cider making clubs or associations you can get involved with? If not keep track of what varieties you put in each batch and you'll learn by trial and error what you like and don't like.
Unfortunately there is not much cider maker in the land of the beer and the few I know or heard about just use apple they grow and get what they get.

Hi guys,

Anybody here use to check TA (acidity) into the juice he uses and into cider he does ?

In the books I read, 5 to 7 g/l of acid is consider as normal. 5 is much appropriate for a dry cider and 7 for a semi sweet.

In my case, my juice is under 3 and my cider is neverteless quite tart, not acetic but quite tart. I use to drink very sour beer so I enjoy it but is too tart for much people who tasted it.
I used lacto bacteria for one, he is around 5 g/l and test like a "soft" lambic.
Do you guys have the same impression that for a dry cider, 5g/l is quite high ?
If I decide to go with low acidity juice, it may be a problem for shelflive...

Back