Apple Pie Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh990311

Reaction score
I want to make an apple pie flavored wine. So I want it lighter than a cider and with stronger apple pie flavors. I want it more clear than a cider as well. I want to be able to see through it. Id like to have a nice light wine with great apple pie flavor. Please advise.

Here is a simple recipe that should be close to what you want:

1 gallon recipe

All liquid 100% Tree Top 100% apple juice
1tsp of McCormick apple pie spice
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/2tsp malic acid
1lb sugar (gravity close to 1.080)
Yeast (lalvin k1v-1116)

Mix it all up and let ferment over 2-4 weeks. It should mostly clear in that time. Rack off the sediment and taste. Add potassium sorbate and Camden tablet and wait 24 hours. Add 1-2 cans of apple juice concentrate to back sweeten and taste. Add additional apple pie spice to age in secondary if you think it is needed. Wait another 2-4 weeks, rack if sediment settles at the bottom and feel free to bottle after no more sediment is dropping out.

If it helps, my old man does a pumpkin pie wine and he puts a cinnimon stick in every bottle. I can't comment on how it affects sediment levels (he's always had an issue with it), but the taste after being in the bottle for a year is phenomenal.
Good luck and remember to post your results! :mug:

Arpolis, I wonder if you might explain the reason for your suggestion that malic acid be added. Isn't malic a rather sharp acid and if Josh is looking for a "lighter" cider won't the addition of malic give it an edge that would wrestle with the warm and fuzziness that the "apple -pie" flavoring suggests. Over about 12 months the malic may convert to lactic acid and THAT would provide a lovely smoothness but short term won't malic make the cider taste "sharp" and "rough"?

Here is the recipe i ended up using. Guy at my brew shop advised. Sorry here's the recipe for 1 gal but I did a 5 gal batch so obviously did 5 times everything:
2 qts apple juice
4.5 Pts water
2 lbs sugar
2 1/4 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 Camden tablet crushed
Red star cote des Blancs.The book I'm using seems to be in every brew shop, purple book winemakers recipe handbook. Ill flavor with apple pie flavors 2 weeks before bottling I think. Perhaps a little at bottling as well so the aroma is fresh

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Bajron if you dont have anything for making wine, i suggest visiting a local brew shop or check around fir brew clubs to help get u started. Be careful about brew shops, I think 99.9 % are there to help you but I had the first one I went to when I started sell me a bunch of unnecessary stuff. What did I know, I was new and they took advantage of it.

Back