Apple grape hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meck1842

Reaction score
I am new to making cider and this is my second batch. I wnted to try to do a cherry/apple cider but couldn't find any cherry juice without a bunch of additives. Any suggestions or comments on this would be greatly appreciated!

3 gallons of apple juice (motts and market pantry, pasteurized)
1 gallon of grape juice (market pantry, pasteurized)
1 lb brown sugar
1 1/2 cups corn sugar

Ec 1118 yeast

I will ferment a couple weeks in the primary and a couple more in secondary. I will bottle it with grape juice or apple juice as a primer.

It tasted way too sweet at first so I am really hoping it ferments out a lot.

I'm considering the same recipe towards the end of October. I'd like to know if you're able to cut down the sweetness.

Thx.

Update,

I just bottled this cider today. I let it ferment down a little too far probably at .995. That leaves this at slightly above 9% abv. :tank:

I back sweetened just a little with a couple cups of grape juice and 2/3 cup corn sugar. I have my eyes on my soda bottle so I don't have bottle bombs in my basement. I'll let everyone know how it turns out!

I'm considering the same recipe towards the end of October. I'd like to know if you're able to cut down the sweetness.

Thx.

it came out pretty dry so I actually ended up sweetening just a little (posted above). Not sure how long it will take to carb but I'll keep you posted.

Back