Apple data source?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstorm

Reaction score
Hey all-

I'm curious if anyone has a good reference for apple data, specifically malic acid and tannin content? Data for common American apples would be ideal, the type you'd get at a farmer's market or from a produce supplier. I've found some data for UK cider apples, which I can't get my hands on in California.

Thanks!

I don't haven any but I'd suggest snooping around agricultural extension service and university web sites in Washington (especially WSU Tree Fruit Research & Extension Center) and Upstate New York. You might also find some research in other Northern states. You could also try searching Cider Digest's archives or sending a query to the list.

Yep... Here you go:

http://www.cider.org.uk/appledat.htm

And I can add that my own tests have confirmed that gravenstein apples have around 0.85% malic acid content, which is high, and that they have a typical North American tannin profile (i.e. low). Nice for cider if you don't mind really tart stuff.

If you're interested, I would love to get a crowdsourced database started, since I have an acid test kit and a decent palate for tannin tasting.

Thanks for the link, though that's exactly the source I was referring to when I had a source for UK apples. That site doesn't have many of the common American apples. The Gravenstein number does help though :) My first cider was a 100% Gravenstein cider that I found to be delicious - though my palette prefers tart and dry, so it wasn't the biggest hit with friends.

I'd be very interested in starting a database. Let me know how I can help!

Whoops, didn't realize that you linked a table for NY apples. I hadn't found that table on that website yet - excellent data, thanks!

Latest posts

Back