Apple Butter Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
So I want to brew a beer with some local organic Apple Butter and I'm trying to decide what style to brew it with. I'm thinking a Porter might work but when should I add the apple butter? I'm leaning towards adding it in the mash. Has anyone ever done an apple butter beer?

Sounds yummy. I don't have any experience with it, but I'd rack the beer onto it in secondary, like you would most other types of fruit. Maybe add a little bit around flameout as well for added complexity.

For the base, try a fairly neutral blonde or cream ale, or something along the lines of a brown or porter - nothing that is hop-forward.

Im thinking of putting it in the mash, i want to get the apple flavor but try to transfer as little of the oiliness as possible to the finished product if that makes sense.

I wouldn't add it to the mash because then you will boil and loss some of the delicate flavor of the butter. I think that if you put it in at flame out then you will keep the flavors and reduce the oilly ness that might occur.

You might want to double check the ingredients of that apple butter, most applebutter recipes I've seen have vinegar as an ingredient; so do most (if not all) commercial apple butters. Not sure if it would matter, depending on when you added it, but it's something to think about. Regards, GF.

What does vinegar do?

If it's "dead" vinegar (e.g. distilled), it may give your beer a slightly acetic twang, at worst. If it has any active acetobacter in it, then you may end up with an infection of your beer and equipment.

Ive done this actually. I made it a very light colored ale. Used northern brewer hops. I added the apple butter with 15 min. I made the apple butter so I knew what was in it. It turned out pretty good. But I would rack onto it if I did it.again

ForumRunner_20120320_144721.jpg

what did you put in the apple butter? I was turned off by the bacteria comment so never really took this any further. Would still like to give it a try.

Well, thats my grandmothers secret recipe. I would love to tell you but I just cant. She struggled just giving it to me. I would definitely make your own apple butter. Control your ingredients and you will be just fine.

You might want to double check the ingredients of that apple butter, most applebutter recipes I've seen have vinegar as an ingredient; so do most (if not all) commercial apple butters. Not sure if it would matter, depending on when you added it, but it's something to think about. Regards, GF.

I make apple butter and it does not contain a vinegar just letting you know.

Apple butter is just Apple sauce made with cider instead of juice. You could just as easily use apple cider and some apple pie spice.

I'd do 3-4 gallons of porter and rack it onto some apple cider. Might have to use camp den tabs in the juice since you can't boil it. Apple juice concentrate might work in a full batch.

10 years later... Anyone ever figure out a solution? Anyone think to simply use the ingredients of apple butter? Cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg, cloves, Apples (dried or cider) ect...?

Back