Apple Berry Pie Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor strangebrew

Reaction score
I was temporarily out of funds, but wanted to make a 1 gallon batch of apple cider. I had 1/2 gallon of apple juice and 1 can of frozen concentrate apple juice. Not enough... but I also had some frozen berries and brown sugar so I took a chance and this is what I did. I have no campden tabs, so I thawed the berries (raspberry, blueberry and blackberry mix) put in blender and then strained out the juice. Put this and some water in a pan. Added brown sugar and boiled for awhile. At the end, I added some cinnamon (going for a pie flavor) I really had to guess on amounts (I don't have a hygrometer) My last batch of apple cider was weak so I probably overdid this one (woops... too much brown sugar) I even threw in the juice of 1 orange for tang. All I have is champagne yeast. This was a "use what i have" project. Wish me luck!

It sounds pretty good. I'm not sure about the orange tho. Both brews i have used it in have had an odd taste. I'll have to try a gallon of this to see if that's my culprit.

Yeah, I was all with you until the orange juice. Not at all sure about that one. For me, orange taste does not go with berries.

It was only the juice from 1 orange. Hey, did I mess up boiling the berries? Also, can I still add pectic enzyme (just made it last night) I really don't mind if it's cloudy if it tastes OK. I actually wanted the "cooked fruit taste" (like in a pie) and over half of the ingredients is apple juice. Fermenter (1 gallon jug) is bubbling well. I plan on racking it soon once it settles a bit. I might just end up putting in 2 liter plastic soda bottles and let it carbonate while still a bit sweet (risky, but will feel pressure and put in fridge) Otherwise, should I keep this in secondary for a couple weeks for a stronger dry cider (wine)?

Fermenter is going strong (keep in mind my last batch with low gravity was very slow using the same champagne yeast) Must be very high starting gravity. When I blended and strained the berries, some seeds and pulp got through. Will the seeds add tannins? I will try this again, but without boiling (will use campden tabs) and no OJ. I really do need a hydrometer if I'm going to experiment like this. Should I treat this more like wine than cider (longer time in secondary fermenter)?

I have a bunch of dried cranberries (craisens) I want to try with apple juice. Any suggestions? Boil or just soak in warm water? Blender? Pectic enzyme? Acid blend? Lots of questions.

Fermenter has settled down. Starting to clear (had hope for another day of activity) Will transfer to secondary soon (and try small sample) Maybe a bust, but curious about the flavor.

I have a bunch of dried cranberries (craisens) I want to try with apple juice. Any suggestions? Boil or just soak in warm water? Blender? Pectic enzyme? Acid blend? Lots of questions.
I tossed a big handful direct to secondary and left them till they turned white and sank. Still not sure of the outcome as it's bulk aging.

I got lucky! Most of the crud settled to the bottom. Racked to secondary and added a small amount of cranberry juice coctail (juice, corn syrup, citric/malic acid and ascorbic acid) just to bring the level up and provide some extra sugar. Tastes good, with a hint of cinnamon, but fairly tart/acidic (didn't need the OJ) Hope this will mellow in secondary. Don't know if the yeast is still active... didn't use up all the sugars in primary so I'll give it a week in secondary and cross my fingers. Temps are still mild so might not need cooling (see my other thread) Really like the extra flavor from the berries.

If it was just a cup, the OJ may have helped by adding potassium to the mix. Good for the yeasties you know. Did you by any chance slip in any peel or pith?

Just a half cup of OJ (good to know about the potassium) No peel, but sounds like a great idea. Secondary is active (slow, but yeast is still going) Once it clears and settles to bottom, how long should I keep it in secondary? I tend to rush cider (with just apple juice) but trying to be more patient this time. I did this with no budget... just what i had at the time. Normally would have campden tabs, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, ect. Did the boil with cinnamon to get a "pie" flavor. Next time maybe just a short boil (to pasteurize)

Just a half cup of OJ (good to know about the potassium) No peel, but sounds like a great idea. Secondary is active (slow, but yeast is still going) Once it clears and settles to bottom, how long should I keep it in secondary? I tend to rush cider (with just apple juice) but trying to be more patient this time. I did this with no budget... just what i had at the time. Normally would have campden tabs, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, ect. Did the boil with cinnamon to get a "pie" flavor. Next time maybe just a short boil (to pasteurize)

I would leave it in the secondary until it clears on its own, and then bottle. I carb most of my stuff so can't speak to campden tabs. It's likely too late for pectic enzyme but no big deal really.
What I learned reading the entire BOMM thread is about the need for potassium in meads, and the need to buffer acidity to keep yeast happy. This further led to the discussion of why JAOM works so well even using bread yeast. Part of it is the PH buffer from the orange (peel) and the potassium added by the orange juice.
That thread took me over a week to read but the information is invaluable. It has stepped up both my mead and cider game, as well as enabling me to have something drinkable in about 4 to 5 weeks, consistently.

My secondary is just barely active. When I racked from primary, a quick sample tasted too acidic. I wondered if the yeast did not like that. That's OK, this batch was just thrown together for fun, but otherwise has a nice flavor I had hoped for. Just going to put in some 2-liter soda bottles in the fridge and move on.

Tasted cider and it is drinkable, but a bit sour/tart. I am used to making beer, so normally this would mean contamination, but might just be normal for this cider ingredients. At least it has decent ABV... totally guessing about 6-7 percent. Subtle beery/cinnamon flavor is nice, so I'm going to choke it down and see if I can get loaded.

I know I rushed it... this wan't a serious batch anyway. I want to get back to making beer (I never made wine because it takes way too long)

(I never made wine because it takes way too long)

I've decided to differentiate between time and effort. Letting wine, mead, cider, stout, just sit there doesn't take any effort. So what if it takes 3, 6, 36 months?

It was still just one batch. It's not any more effort than a batch of beer(hell cider is a lot less), so why be exclusionary?

For me beer takes more effort. On brew day, maintaining mash temp, getting timings right, chilling the wort. I love doing it, don't get me wrong but I find cider, wine, mead etc to be less time consuming in terms of actual effort expended. Yes they can take longer, but they don't always have to. My last 2 cysers were fermented, bottled, and carbonated in under 5 weeks, and they taste fantastic.

Good point... brewing beer is more work. Making a 1 gallon cider is very easy so I'll continue doing that too. Actually, going to try a simple cider with FAJC and some cranberry juice (100 percent juice, not "coctail")

Back