Appears to be done fermenting, but still has clumps of yeast on the top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I started brewing a double IPA a little over a week ago. I accidentally rehydrated the yeast too long (about an hour and a half, double what you're supposed to do). However everything appears to have fermented fine. There were about 2 days of vigorous fermentation and then nothing. I figure'd i'd let it sit, and have given it another week. No changes- no bubbling. I took a FG reading and it was actually about .008 lower than expected. Combine that with the lack of bubbling and I'm going to call it done.

However I have clumps of yeast floating on the surface. I also have clumps of yeast floating throughout the brew. It's like it flocculated but didn't sink all the way and some didn't sink at all. The brew was brewed in slightly high temps (76-78 degrees f).

I'm using Safale US05.

Anything to be concerned with on the clumps, or am I good to move it into a secondary for dry hopping? I tried a sip out of my graduated cylinder and it tastes fine (other than the slight hint of delicious delicious starsan that'd been sprayed on the cylinder). Nice and hoppy like it should be.

This is just the first time I've ever had clumps on the top of a finished brew before.

Great news! On to secondary with it! Can't wait to clear up the fermenter for my homegrown cascade pale ale :)

Latest posts

Back