Apfelwein Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its my first attempt at apple wine. I made two 5gal batches with one using the montrachet wine yeast as per EdWort's instructions and the second using a vile of While Labs champaign yeast (no starter). The one with the champaing yeast is going crazy and is foaming up into the airlock while the montrachet is just phoning this one in, very slow bubbling.

I wasn't doing this for any sort of yeast test but rather the champaign yeast batch I plan to distill into an applejack brandy. It has me thinking though, at this rate it seems like the champaign yeast will produce the better batch. Maybe I'm just thinking like a beer guy though. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about this? Anyone use the whiskey turbo yeasts on apfelwein before? I'm also wondering if the vigorous fermentation will reduce the aging period required any.

I'll be trying the 1118 vs. Montrachet, this weekend. My LHBS is pretty limited, so I just use what I can :p

I'll also be fermenting at 66F, so who knows what'll happen. I just know it'll take a long-ass time to ferment :(

I have used 1118 for the last couple of batches but plan on using Montrachet for the next. They both produce different tastes and I like to switch it up every once in a while

Back