apfelwein yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nettekdl

Reaction score
So I've been reading the forum about apfelwein and really have the hankering to make a batch this weekend. However, my LHBS is about 40 miles away and I really don't feel like driving out there right now, hence the apfelwein because I can get most everything from the local grocer, except the yeast. I do though have a very large stock of washed 1056 and was wondering will 1056 work? And if so can I make a starter using some apple juice and yeast nutrient instead of dme?

It will make cider, that's a fact, and probably one that's almost as dry and just as good as Apfelwein. Technically, it won't be Apfelwein, but it'll be darn close. Yeast strains aren't as critical in ciders, but they do finish somewhat differently, at least as far as FG goes. The key to Apfelwein as I understand it is that it's dry as can be...but a variation of yeast isn't going to make it undrinkable for some reason.

Ok thanks for the help I will just give it a try and see how it is

I used EC-1118 for a batch of applewine. Then I oversweetened it in the keg, so I fermented a gallon of apple juice with a slurry from a US-05 starter. It came out fine and I can't tell the difference. This is basically a 4:1 blend of applewine with some fermented with champagne yeast and some us-05, though.

The FG of the us-05 portion was pushing 1.000, just the same as the champagne yeast version, prior to back-sweetening.

Back