Apfelwein yeast choice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeEh

Reaction score
I really want to get a batch of apfelwein going today because it's my birthday and, well, thats it. My dilemma: I thought I had the right yeast but my only two packets are Muntons Ale and Red Star Pasteur Champagne. I do also, however, have a six gallon carboy full of beautifully clear, five week old Apfelwein that I am bottling today. There doesn't seem to be much of a yeast cake at the bottom but there is some. Should I use muntons, champagne, or pour the juice directly on top of whatever is left after I carefully rack to my bottling bucket? Also considering the cake reuse plus some champagne yeast.

I believe the reason you don't see as much of a yeast cake on Apfelwein is because there is just not as much trub and what not in the carboy, so I'd have no problem pitching on top of the cake.

Pitch on that cake. I just finished a 15 gallon batch of Apfelwein with Wyeast 3068. ended a little sweet, and after cold crashing is great.. I was able to collect about 2 cups of yeast, and only yeast because there was no trub, and repitched those 2 cups of solid yeast into 15 gallons oh Hefeweizen.

Latest posts

Back