Apfelwein 10 days out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dusty1025

Reaction score
Pitched my first apfelwein on St. Patty's day.

9 Quarts Preservative free apple juice
2 Gallons Mott's Preservative free Apple cider
2 pounds corn sugar
1 package Red Star Cote des Blancs

I got in a hurry, couldn't wait for warm weather and pitched onto cold must.
I had been waiting for my basement to get above the current lagering temperatures (hovering around 57F). So...no surprise after 24hours i had no activity.

Moved the primary to warmer climate (68-70F) placed on a heating pad for a few hours to speed it up a little (yes...I'm Impatient). The must never got above 70F, so no harm done i hope.

By 36 hours it was bubbling away but with very little airlock activity. I swirled the contents of the carboy a few times to see if i had a problem with my airlock and the airlock bubbled like mad for a few seconds.

It continued this slow steady bubbling with little/slow airlock activity until the 8 day mark. Bubbling is almost nonexistant and it is starting to clear. A visible whiteish layer is settling on top of the pulp from the cider.

I broke my hygrometer just after i mixed the juice and cider (OG 1.050). I know i could answer some of my own questions with a gravity reading. Hopefully picking up a new one tomorrow.

Two Questions:
Is this a normal progression for fermentation in this scenario?

Can anyone tell me what my approximate OG would have been with 17 quarts of juice(OG 1.050) with the addition of 2 pounds of dextrose?

cheers,
Dusty

I have no idea of the OG. But ciders/wines/meads generally ferment very slow. It's good at 70 degrees, plus or minus. You may not see many signs of fermentation like you do with beer, but it's good all the ame.

ok great thanks, i watched the youtube video of fermenting apfelwein and was a little worried because i'm seeing so little activity

Back