Aperture DIPA all-grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApertureBrewing

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about this recipe for days, playing with different malts and hop schedules and so far this is what I think I like the most. The complex hop schedule should be balanced somewhat by the crystal/carapils/victory. I'm going to add the honey and dextrose both at flameout. In the past I've brewed similar recipes and added pure honey at flameout but I think it was overkill. No doubt it's an expensive beer to make, but it's a specialty beer and I don't plan to share it as much as the rest of the stuff I make (hah!). I didn't do the math on it yet but I imagine it will come in somewhere around 9-10% abv.

Here's what I've got so far. Looks delicious imo. Who wants to brew it with me?!

for 5 gallons

12.0 two row
.5 crystal 40
.75 carapils
.5 victory
1.0 honey + .5 dextrose @ flameout
2 tsp gypsum in HLT

1.5oz chinook whole leaf in the mash
2.0 zeus @ 90
1.0 glacier @ 75
1.0 centennial @ 30
.5 apollo @ 15
1.0 simcoe @ steep for 30 minutes AFTER flameout
1.0 amarillo @ steep 30
.5 centennial @ steep 30
.5 apollo @ steep 30

1.5 chinook dry hop (all for 7 days)
1.5 simcoe dry hop
1.0 amarillo dry hop

mash @ 150; 90 minute boil; irish moss @ 15 min; pitch big starter of S05 or California Ale Yeast; ferment @ 68* F;

I will be brewing this on Saturday. Any suggested changes? Feel free to calculate gravity and IBUs for me :mug:

Of course this is personal opinion but for big DIPAs like this, I'd throw in a few ounces of hops at 5 or 0 before your steep hops. Other than that, maybe a little centennial in the dry hop, and this is very specific to me but I like to add 8-12oz of white wheat to my DIPAs to give it a nice softer body feel. Totally a personal preference tho, good luck!

jglazer said:
Of course this is personal opinion but for big DIPAs like this, I'd throw in a few ounces of hops at 5 or 0 before your steep hops. Other than that, maybe a little centennial in the dry hop, and this is very specific to me but I like to add 8-12oz of white wheat to my DIPAs to give it a nice softer body feel. Totally a personal preference tho, good luck!

Would you subtract any malts in favor of the white wheat addition?

Brewed this on Saturday. Added a little white wheat. I used a little too much sparge water and ended up with about 27 gallons pre-boil so that brought my gravity down slightly I'm a good way I think. Should come in around 7.2% now.

WOW did it smell amazing though!! My ferm chamber is currently oozing delicious galaxy aroma. Love that hop!!

Hey sorry never got back to answering your question. Glad you went with some wheat in there! Let me know how it turns out :)

Latest posts

Back