Apartment water source? Shower head?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
I need help finding water source in my apartment? I just moved into an apartment and took my brew stand with me (3 twenty five gallon pots). I was depending on the garden hose faucet, on the side of the building as a water source. That faucet is dead, so I have to tap somewhere else. The kitchen faucet has no threads. The bath tub faucet has no threads. I think the management is trying to make this difficult for me? Now I'm thinking of unscrewing the shower head and tapping there. Can any of you help?
Thanks Mike

I did HVAC for 15 years, so I can break lot's of stuff. I would think that putting a tee in under a sink would be a good idea. In the lease I signed it said not to modify the building in any way (like they read minds). So I'd like to find a threaded tee to spin in; and out when I leave in a few years. Any other ideas?

I'm new to all this so forgive me if I'm not familiar with something obvious but trying to help, I live in an apartment as well. This all depends on what kind of fixtures you have and what you are doing with the water. All good ideas here to think about and just about any faucet I can think of has some kind of screw fitting whether its the handle or a diffuser / screen. I wouldn't worry about the building modification clause. Thats more to do with things that can't be easily reversed, your not doing anything like that. I installed a water filter under my sink and they don't have an issue with that, this is the same concept.
If your using the water for chilling how about using a pump and recirculating the same water from a sump (bucket, sink, bathtub etc). This gives you the added benefit of using ice water to chill your wort even quicker.

Ask the landlord if you can fix the garden hose spigot. It may be worth the cost for you to fix it and he gets a free repair out of the deal.

You could slways install this on the showerarm.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Shower-Diverter-in-Chrome-3075-541/204511170/

That way you can have your showerhead installed as well as the connection for your hose. You can then use the button to switch back and forth between them.

Although it looks like the most straight forward easy add-on tap solution, it lowers the shower head by a few inches. That maybe annoying if you're tall.

They used to sell "rubber" push on adapters, with and without clamps, to feed a (portable) washing machine or dishwasher from a bathroom or kitchen faucet, but they've disappeared.
Perhaps you could fabricate something like that from a slightly oversized hose?

The shower head came off with only two fingers, and it goes back on just as easy. I must say I like showering with a garden hose sprayer, the pressure is fabulous! It really cleans the undercarriage.

I had this exact same problem. On brew days I would connect to the cold water hose under my sink and it worked like a charm. I ran my hose through the kitchen window so that I could have my brew water outside and I still had hot water in the kitchen sink. The only downside was the low flow rate. You'll probably get more from the shower head.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm a lil worried the plate chiller won't have the flow it needs. I'll try it this weekend and let you guys know how it turns out.

The shower head worked. The flow was good, but I need to play with the cold water justment. I only got down to 82*F with one pass through the chiller. I may need to recirculate into the BK to cool it down more then do the final pass through the chiller so the temperature difference is lower. But hay I've got 10 gallons of Zombie Dust, so I'm not complaining. I split this batch with my buddie so each of us have 10 gallons.

Can you post any pictures of your setup? I live in a small apartment as well and I want to brew larger quantities. Interested in seeing how you go about it..

You need a 1/2 NPT to 3/4" hose fitting, that's it. connect your hose and pipe it wherever you want.

The shower head came off with only two fingers, and it goes back on just as easy. I must say I like showering with a garden hose sprayer, the pressure is fabulous! It really cleans the undercarriage.

I dont have anything to contribute to the thread, but this was hilarious to me

I don't have any pictures that are very good, but it a 3 pot system, with a panel. Looks like this

I need help finding water source in my apartment? I just moved into an apartment and took my brew stand with me (3 twenty five gallon pots). I was depending on the garden hose faucet, on the side of the building as a water source. That faucet is dead, so I have to tap somewhere else. The kitchen faucet has no threads. The bath tub faucet has no threads. I think the management is trying to make this difficult for me? Now I'm thinking of unscrewing the shower head and tapping there. Can any of you help?
Thanks Mike

I also brew in an apartment; I unscrew the washing machine's water connection and connect a hose to that. The hose is hooked on to my Therminator.

Not very convenient that in order to turn the tap on and off, I need to stick my arm behind the washing machine, but hey - it works :mug:

I also brew in an apartment; I unscrew the washing machine's water connection and connect a hose to that. The hose is hooked on to my Therminator.

Not very convenient that in order to turn the tap on and off, I need to stick my arm behind the washing machine, but hey - it works :mug:

Get a y! It will be so much easier!

I would nose around the basement and look for the valve to turn on the hose barb. Other then that, the sink has to have a screw off connection to hold the screen which then would require the correct adaptor.

As a renter, I'm breaking some little rules, taking up an extra parking space, stuff like that. I didn't ask what the rules on brewing are here (and don't intend to)? I don't want these people to come down on me for messing with the building. I'm under the assumption they want the water off outside, and that's why it off. If I recirculate back into the BK, I could drop the wort down to 70* NP. It's hard to find a good, cheap apartment that will also take my dog.

Here is what I learned, if you're in a house you may get your cold water through the city main, but in an apartment the cold water goes through the building and it would seem to never run as cold as my old house cold water. So recirculated in the BK or buy a bigger plate chiller.

Here is what I learned, if you're in a house you may get your cold water through the city main, but in an apartment the cold water goes through the building and it would seem to never run as cold as my old house cold water. So recirculated in the BK or buy a bigger plate chiller.

Or just transition into no chill method.

I have used a Universal Water Tap Adapter for about 15 years now in situations like this.

I even had a 260 litre water barrel on my balcony to feed my drip irrigation system and filled it from my kitchen sink with a garden hose and the water tap adapter.

http://www.gardener-tool.com/products/Universal-water-tap-adapter-1264708.html

100750978_Plastic_Universal_tap_connector_For_Famil_Water_Faucet_s.jpg

Back