APA/IPA with homegrown hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRS

Reaction score
A friend recently gave me about a half pound each of whole leaf Chinook, Cascade, and Columbus from his garden. He harvested them in mid-august, dried them, and stored them in the freezer in zip-loc freezer bags.

I'd like to make a simple APA or IPA with these. I plan to use chinook pellets for bittering, and the home grown hops for flavor/aroma additions. Since these weren't stored in barrier bags, do I have to worry about oxidation issues? Should I use more/less (by mass) than I would when using a pellet hop?

Any tips from people with experience with homegrown hops?

Here's what I'm thinking for the recipe:
6 gallons
OG 1.052

9lb 2-row
.5lb C20
.5lb C40
.25lb Flaked Barley
1 oz Chinook Pellets @ 60 min
(all hop additions after 60 min are homegrown hops)
1 oz ea of Cascade and Columbus @ 10 mins
1 oz ea of Cascade, Columbus, and chinook @ 5 mins
1 oz ea of Cascade, Columbus, and chinook @ 0 mins
dry hop with 1 oz ea of Cascade, Columbus, and Chinook for 1 week

This is a lot of hops, to be sure, but they were free to me, so I am inclined to go a little crazy with it. This gives me about 55 IBU using average values for these hop types, but if they have lower AA I can call it an APA, or an IPA if the opposite is true.

Since they were frozen and the hops are less than a year old, no problems there. Pellets/whole, I tend to use the same amount for flavor and aroma.

Latest posts

Back