Anything wrong with this picture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
Ok, I did a copy of the extract sour that is floating around this forum. It has been 4-5 months so far in the carboy. Tasted it a couple months ago and it really was good, today it is a little more tangy.
Most likely this is normal (my first sour). It still has a few months to go. However the pellicle has some darker brown spots on top of the white and I am not sure if this coupled with the changing taste is something to be concerned with.

Thanks for your help.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

If you look at the pellicle thread, you will see some crazy ones. Yours looks normal. Also the flavors of sours is constantly changing. By tangy do you mean more sour, or more vinegary? Vinegar is BAD, but more sour is the point!

That tangy is possibly ascetic acid being produced. The more O2 you allow in there the more of that you'll get. Might not want to sample so much! I had that happen to my first sour beer. Didn't ruin it but I noticed the same change around 4 months.

I made a several sours over a period of a couple of years. I thought they were better at 4-5 months than at 1 year. In retrospect, I wish I had bottled then. Just a suggestion.

Latest posts

Back