Anything wrong with this fermentation picture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibumdc

Reaction score
Brewed a Heavy ass Scottish Ale on New Years Eve, everything went smoothly and we used Wyeast 1728. Fermented @ 55 degrees the entire time.
We racked to secondary on Saturday and yesterday afternoon we noticed this brownish layer on top.
It's been in a temp controlled fridge the entire time and sanitation is always a priority for us.
The plan is to secondary for another 2 weeks or so and then cold crash for a few days before kegging/bottling.
My guess is that the cold crash will settle this out?

Scotch_Ale.jpg

It looks like you're just getting seperation...that's what a secondary's for. Stuff's falling out so it looks like it's forming stratification. Looks good to me.

I'm sure Revvy is right. I brewed a Scotch ale as well and moved to secondary a little over a week ago and have been keeping it at about 46 degrees in the secondary. I also used Wyeast 1728, IIRC. I primaried at 56 for 4 weeks and didn't have any of what you have in primary or after a week in secondary. Mine was only a 1.082 though, sounds like yours may have been higher which would leave you with more crap in your wort than I probably had.

Our OG was 1.084 if I remember correctly. We are currently @ 1.022 after approximately 28 days in Primary and 3 days in secondary @ 55 degrees constant.

Just out of curiosity, did either of you do a "secondary"boil where you take 2 gallons of wart down to a pint or two of syrup?

I brewed the same week you did, pitched a huge starter and my ferm has stopped at 1.30, down from 1.097. I know that's in range, but I'd ideally like to get it a bit drier. I'm wondering if my added step created lots of un-fermentables. I've had the temps between 56 and 54 the whole time, and about a week ago I roused the yeast and warmed it to the mid-60s to see if that made a difference. It bought me .003 points.

Yes, we took the first gallon or so into a separate pot and boiled it down to a syrup.

Back