Anything new in the near future?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurker18

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is more for the pro growers and retailers. Are there any new varieties that are in the plans to be released to the public? I have room for two more varieties in the garden and am thinking what to put in there.

Also, how often are varieties released. I am from a farming background, and new crop varieties are almost a yearly thing. But I assume for hops, it is going to be harder for the public to get these new varieties, as the designers are going to be holding on to the traits (Amarillo for eg.) and not releasing the rhizomes. On the farm we get the new varieties, but have to pay a fee for the use of the new varieties, have to sign agreements that none of the seed are held back for next years production, and there are very very stiff fines if you are caught growing certain varieties without the paperwork to go along with them. Being an annual plant, the breeders probably don't want their hard work released to the public all that often, and when Amarillo finally is released, it is going to be outdated and something new will be the big in thing.

Latest posts

Back