Anything in the bag to help maintain shape?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ike

nOob for life
Reaction score
Ok folks, a search turned up empty. Let me know if I'm overthinking this one, as I do a lot of things about brewing.

I'm running a standard sized bag in a 44qt Bayou Classic pot. Been having a blast with BIAB: efficiency isn't stellar but more than good enough to keep me happy. BUT, that's never something to stop us from tweaking things, is it?

When I brew, I clamp the top of the bag to the rim of the kettle, like I bet most of us do. But the bottom of the bag is all folded over in the water, and really doesn't seem to fill out until I drop in the grain. When I do, it opens up into the water, but when I'm stirring with my whisk to break up grain balls I can tell it's still folding up. I wonder if the bag being less than completely expanded leads to less-than-ideal water circulation, which could then lead to worse-than-best-possible efficiency.

Because I'm paranoid, I use a circular stainless steel cookie rack in the bottom of my kettle during the mash. After the bag comes out, I pull the rack and start the boil. QUESTON: does anyone use something similar INSIDE THE BAG to help maintain their bag in the most open position possible (a similar rack, or a round dinner plate, or something purpose-built) so that as much water as possible can move freely through the mashing grains? OR, do you just dump the grains in there and figure the bag is porous enough that it doesn't interfere with the water's movement into and out of the grain?

:mug:

Let me know if I'm overthinking this one, as I do a lot of things about brewing.

Yea, i think you are overthinking it :)

Ideally, if your bag is sized to the kettle it neatly lines the inside of the kettle. I doubt your situation is changing your beer much if at all. Look at your crush if your efficiency is in question IMO.

I've never had that issue. What kind of bag are you using? But to answer your question, yes, you are overthinking it.

I always get between 75 & 82 % efficiency doing BIAB. What are you getting? Perhaps you have a "crush" problem.

I always get between 75 & 82 % efficiency doing BIAB. What are you getting? Perhaps you have a "crush" problem.

This. Take a look at your crush, frequency of stirring the mash and mash pH before anything else. Once you have these sorted, you'll probably find that your efficiency problems are solved.

Latest posts

Back