Anyone with a stout brand kettle can comment on they handle hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
I am looking at the Stout kettle with tangent input.

How are you handling your hops?
Pellet or Whole leaf?

Just a whirlpool or do you also have a screen?

I whirlpool no screen.i bag leaf hops,next time I get some leaf I am going to try them loose.

Is it just an empty port? I doubt you can just use loose hops in the boil kettle.

Why do you think that? Also the OP was asking for opinions from people with experience who actually use the product.

I have the 9.2 gallon kettles and primarily use pellet hops without hop sacks. My Stout kettle has the tangential inlet and bottom dome. Hops do and trub do settle into the bottom dome section. It works pretty well in my opinion.

I am going off experience of a standard kettle without a hop screen.

I can see this working with pellet type, but not leaf type.

Why do you think that? The OP was asking for opinions from people with experience who actually use the product. :off:

I have the 9.2 gallon kettles and primarily use pellet hops without hop sacks. My Stout kettle has the tangential inlet and bottom dome. Hops do and trub do settle into the bottom dome section.

I am going off experience of a standard kettle without a hop screen.

I can see this working with pellet type, but not leaf type.

What is a standard kettle? Your original post also said loose hops, didnt't reference pellets or leaf. My point is just that the OP was asking about a specific kettle.

Thanks for the photo. Still cant see this working with leaf hops and no screen. So maybe I need to switch to pellets?

No! Whole hops will and did stop mine up. I have the Stout 20 gal. kettle with chugger pumps. Was doing a 12 gal. batch with 20 ounces of hops. I used a hop spider bag on most but thought I would try 2 ounces of whole hops @ 10 mins. loose since the bag was bulging with the pellets. Well when I went to whirlpool It didn't it stopped up. I kept unstopping and it would stop up some where else. They stopped up in the pumps, hoses. outlet in the tank, valves. A big mess I lost 4 gals of wort on the floor and hops every where. I got so frustrated trying to probe and blow out and disassembling the pumps. This was yesterday and I would say I will loose the rest of the batch as well. It is fermenting but I had a lot of things and compressed air in it trying to get it out of the kettle.

Latest posts

Back