Anyone using Reflectix + velcro on a mash tun lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizz81

Reaction score
I had been thinking about something solid to use as a lid for my mash tun so I could route a recirc return line thru there since I can't return from the side of the keggle (mash basket). Realized I wasn't using my false bottom anymore, and I had an old bulkhead + loc line setup that I'd stowed away since I had been using BIAB bags / the basket.

Figured that would be a nice way to mount the bulkhead, could hinge it so I could adjust the loc line. I was planning on sandwiching it in reflectix insulation material, and using heavy duty velcro to do so. Anyone doing something similar?

I saw on the innernets the temp range for the velcro is 150*F. Since it'd all be sandwiched in the middle, I'm not too concerned as I'd imagine any consequence would be a possible loss of effectiveness of the adhesive. I wouldn't think there'd be a concern about the adhesive somehow getting into the wort, but considering a sanity check before I stick it on the false bottom.

It's the adhesive. I tried using velcro on the overlap of my kettle insulation and it just slips off. Can you sew it on? Or slit the reflectex , slide the velcro thru and silicone it in place. I just put a goose down comforter with snowmen on it over the top and make awesome beer. (I think it's the snowmen).

Perhaps instead of trying so hard to maintain mash temp for the entire hour mash period you could change the mash period to a shorter time and then just let the temperature fall if is wants. The temperature is critical only until conversion is complete. How long does that take for you? I mill my grain fine since I have a bag to create the filter area and don't need to depend on the grain husks for that. With the grain milled so fine, conversion is over quite quickly and the remainder of the time in the mash is to extract the sugars, color, and flavors. If you have a refractometer it is easy to tell when conversion is complete or nearly so. Make sure to stir the mash well before sampling as the sugar laden wort will settle to the bottom.

It's the adhesive. I tried using velcro on the overlap of my kettle insulation and it just slips off. Can you sew it on? Or slit the reflectex , slide the velcro thru and silicone it in place. I just put a goose down comforter with snowmen on it over the top and make awesome beer. (I think it's the snowmen).

I guess I will add that my side insulation for years has been 3 sheets of reflectix fastened to each other with the same velcro, and that has held up fine. Dunno what the temp difference is between the thin keg wall vs. what the lid would see. It would also be on the back side of the layer exposed directly to the heat, not sure if that buys it much protection.

I saw another run of velcro brand stuff that was rated up to 220*F. Unfortunately I don’t have my original packaging.

Sewing might be an option since I am using a perforated false bottom in this instance.

Are you controlling temperature with a RIMS or HERMS?

If that's so, I doubt insulating the lid would bring any benefit at all.

Here's a pic of mine--one layer of reflectix around the body of the kettle (MT), no insulation on top. I don't have any difficulty at all holding temps. One thing I do is let the kettle sit on 1" foam insulation, so the bench isn't sucking heat out of the kettle.

brewsetuphosesRIMS.jpg

Are you controlling temperature with a RIMS or HERMS?

If that's so, I doubt insulating the lid would bring any benefit at all.

Here's a pic of mine--one layer of reflectix around the body of the kettle (MT), no insulation on top. I don't have any difficulty at all holding temps. One thing I do is let the kettle sit on 1" foam insulation, so the bench isn't sucking heat out of the kettle.

View attachment 649065

Yeah, I have a RIMS that holds temp effectively. I have been running my silicone return in thru the top & just kinda laying a lid over the top, not sealed at all. Am just trying to clean things up a bit after cutting the top off the keg recently.

The FB itself isn’t quite wide enough for the remaining opening, so one of the functions of the insulation would be to give it a smidge more diameter to clear the opening. It might not work & I might go with something more solid & wider, just figured I’d play around with extra gear and liked that the FB was already hinged.

I also feel like I would unlock some sort of opposite world bonus achievement if I used a false bottom as a lid on a keggle I have flipped upside-down.

I’ll probably sew some supporting threads in, but the POC seems successful.

Attachments

• C76BBED8-4EE1-47E9-A5E6-DE288EE2039E.jpeg
    C76BBED8-4EE1-47E9-A5E6-DE288EE2039E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 92A8878D-CB73-4F45-90F3-DB79DF93DED5.jpeg
    92A8878D-CB73-4F45-90F3-DB79DF93DED5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 29
Shoe Goo adhesive will glue anything (except maybe HDPE or PE) to the Reflectix material. I glue strip magnets to Reflectix to make grille covers to block out air on my HVAC grilles from rooms I don't want airflow. Stuff is awesome. I discovered it when the soles of my running shoes came off of the shoe lasting and the repair held up indefinitely. I always have some of this stuff in the house. Very similiar to E6000, another toluene based adhesive, but I think the Shoe Goo works better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back