Anyone used rain water for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Reaction score
Hey, I just saw an offer to pick up a 100 litre rain water tank that connects to guttering, or I think you can just leave it open for rain to collect in. I was thinking of experimenting with this so I could use the water somehow in my home brewery.

Has anyone brewed with rainwater before? I would imagine it has to be filtered if it's travelled through guttering to get rid of any dirt. But as it will be boiled for an hour this should make it safe to drink (in terms of using water which may have been sitting around a few days).

I live in England so rain water is plenty, and I brew in the far out suburbs of London away from any chemical plants, power stations, factories, radioactive leaks etc.

It would be great to hear your opinions.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-SEFCOAIjc[/ame]

This guy does it with pond water.

But in all seriousness if you really want to use rain water and want to make GREAT beer I would have the water tested for its mineral content, so at the very least you know what your dealing with. My understanding about rainwater is it is void of minerals needed for beer.

Cheers
Jay

You're going to want to pre-boil and/or filter rain water. It tends to pick up whatever air-gunk it falls through, including chemicals in the atmosphere. Depends on your location and where the weather patterns run through. Rain water tends to be more acidic than tap or well-water as well.

I guess it seems a bit long winded to use rain water as an ingredient. However it could still be used for cleaning and cooling.

Back