Anyone use ultraflo max?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's an enzyme that is said to eliminate stuck sparges and increase efficiency and clarity.
Bold claims for sure.
It seems to be targeted towards commercial breweries, but I was wondering if any homebrewers have used it and if it's worth a damn.
On FB, the all-knowing algorithm has targeted me and I keep seeing the ads.

It's beta-glucanase. It won't help you at all if you have a poor crush or any other issue in your system. It could be useful if you brew recipes with lots of unmalted adjuncts or rye.

I haven't seen this stuff in action, but logically there must be a tradeoff with mouthfeel.

Not really as it does not affect proteins or dextrins at all, it only affects dynamic viscosity.

Not really as it does not affect proteins or dextrins at all, it only affects dynamic viscosity.

How would breaking down Beta Glucans not affect mouthfeel, since Beta Glucans affect mouthfeel?

I was operating on the assumption that one would use it when needed to bring viscosity back to an acceptable value. Of course if you're using it "just because" then all bets are off.

I'm a bit curious about this stuff. Does it work outside the temperature range associated with a "beta rest"?
Malted barley produces beta-glucanase, which is what enables the "beta rest" paradigm. Presumably when using a lot of unmalted adjuncts, that rest could be exploited without the need for extraneously sourced enzyme to bring the mash to a lauterable consistency, at the cost of an extra rest time.

But if the "ultraflo" stuff has to be used in the same temperature band, I wonder what the win is?

Cheers!

From their website:

" Unlike malt enzymes, thermostable filtration enzymes can withstand high temperatures. That means they stay active during the entire mashing. "

You can use a beta glucan rest at 104F to achieve lowered viscosity and improved lautering. As others have said, this is mostly of concern with low-modified malts and cereal additions. I sometimes brew with a Picobrew Zymatic. Its standard step mash schedule includes a beta glucan rest, I believe to maximize the flow of wort through the grain bed in order to avoid overflows.

You can basically get this from MoreBeer as Glucabuster now.

I’ve used both, they aren’t even comparable. 60-100g in 1000# for ultra flow and it does exactly what it says. Couldn’t see a single measurable difference in the usage of the glucabuster.

Latest posts

Back