Anyone use a Tri Clamp Sight Glass on Their Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezzonovante11

Reaction score
So I just brewed a tasty blonde ale and put it in my new Brewhemoth. First time I have used it. Brew day went perfectly. Got my cool wort in the fermenter, and wouldn't you know it, my sight glass is leaking, slowly. Guess I should have leak tested first :cross:

Anyway I tightened it up and the leak is better, but as I was tightening the nuts I wondered how much it would take to shatter it and send my 5.5 all over the floor.

Guess I'll get my small torque wrench out and make sure they are even. Then I'll add a few inch-pounds here and there until I'm satisfied the leak is fixed.

Anyone know what the torque specifications are or have any advice?

Thanks!

How did you solve this? I just had this problem yesterday, even though I did a leak test that and it didnt leaked with water, but it did with wort

I just used a small wrench and tightened all four bolts very slowly and evenly until the leak stopped. The glass is pretty thick and tough and the gaskets pretty thick. No problems since then but I did learn a valuable lesson: put the valve above the sight glass!

Back