anyone try to do a black triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric1309

Reaction score
I saw the recipe on the AHA site and thought might try as my 1st partial mash . I'm just trying to decide if I should cheat and buy a Partial-Mash kit or do it all from scratch.

I think you'll have trouble finding a black triple kit, though it looks like Charlie just took a triple recipe and added in a lb of debittered black malt so you could get a triple kit and do that I guess. Sounds interesting. Not sure what you really mean by cheating - a kit just gives you all the ingredients together, I don't see how that's different than individually buying the ingredients for someone else's recipe. You still have to brew the beer "from scratch", unless you're talking about a no boil kit or something (which makes no sense if you're wanting a partial mash).
Good luck with it!
:mug:

I had the idea of making a black tripel about 6 months ago. I used midnight wheat like I do for my black saisons and IPAs, with 3522 yeast. I ended up splitting it into a half brettd half clean setup and bottled the brett one earlier this year. I really had no idea how it would turn out but its pretty good. I stowed away a lot of them since both tripels and dark malt based recipes seem to get better with age

Get the color from dark candy sugar and it's another style altogether called a quad! I love both, but a good quad is the best beer ever, IMHO.

I dont know if its necessarily a quad. The quad has a lot of raisiny carmel plum character whereas with a black tripel you are going for that classic light body, apple pear or clove esters, but with the slightest hint of roast to get it black. much darker than a quad and much less sweet

@Eric1309: my black tripel recipe was all-grain but it shouldnt be hard to convert to partial mash. It would be mostly pilsner extract with a decent amount of cane sugar and like 1lb of midnight wheat in the mash along with some 6row to convert or something. Let me know if I should dig it up

I dont know if its necessarily a quad. The quad has a lot of raisiny carmel plum character whereas with a black tripel you are going for that classic light body, apple pear or clove esters, but with the slightest hint of roast to get it black. much darker than a quad and much less sweet

@Eric1309: my black tripel recipe was all-grain but it shouldnt be hard to convert to partial mash. It would be mostly pilsner extract with a decent amount of cane sugar and like 1lb of midnight wheat in the mash along with some 6row to convert or something. Let me know if I should dig it up
Thanks m00ps I would appreciate it I plan on getting a fastferment and want that to be the 1st beer for it.

Here's the all-grain recipe:
12 lb pilsner
1 lb midnight wheat
1 lb cane sugar
1 lb D180 candi syrup (added 2-3 days into fermentation)
8 oz golden naked oats

And here's my best attempt to convert it. Someone else with more experience in partial mash may have a more ideal conversion.
7.5 lb pilsner or light LME
steep:
2 lb 6 row
1 lb midnight wheat
8 oz golden naked oats

add near flameout:
1lb cane sugar

add into fermentor 2-3 days in:
1lb D180 candi syrup

@60: 1 oz saaz
@20: 2 oz saaz
@5: 1 oz coriander / 1 oz orange peel

Yeast: WLP550 or Wyeast 3522
Pitched at 65 and insulated the fermentor with a winter coat, free rise to low 80s

I actually split this 50/50 and spiked one half with brett to age for 4 months or so. It ended up getting pretty sour and its neat comparing it to the clean version

The recipe above sounds good.

If you want to get the color while minimizing the roast character, consider replacing some of the midnight wheat with Sinamar. You can get it from most of the big homebrew retailers, and maybe your lhbs as well. Anyway, it's a color additive that is made by extracting the color (but not flavor or anything else) from Carafa -- which ironically makes it a Reinheitsgebot-approved additive. I wouldn't recommend replacing all of your midnight wheat with it, as I think the midnight wheat will actually be a more effective color agent, but cutting it partially with Sinamar will help you get the color while reducing the roastiness.

Thanks for the recipe and the suggestion of sinamar I heard of it but have not looked for it. I'll get my supplies together in next couple weeks and let you all know how it turns out.

Back