Anyone tried other brands of "oxy" cleaners?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knifewine

Reaction score
I stopped by Big Lots because I heard they have Oxy Free for cheap. They seemed to be out, but I picked up Seventh Generation Natural Oxy Stain Remover on sale for cheap. It appears to have similar ingredients to the other brands, but I wanted to ask if anyone has used this specific brand for cleaning equipment? I noticed the label warning about using the solution on metal -- if this is similar to other oxy products any idea why there would be a warning about metal? (maybe they were just trying to be concise and didn't want to mention specifics?).

Here's the ingredients:

Sodium percarbonate (mineral-based oxygen stain removal agent), sodium carbonate (mineral water softener), sodium silicate (mineral alkalinity builder) and sodium sulfate (mineral processing aid).

Side note: I read on some other posts about brewers making their own knockoff PBW with oxy cleaners and sodium metasilicate. Interestingly, this product already contains a bit of sodium silicate (but according to the MSDS sheet its less than one percent, and supposedly PBW has like 30%).

Ive used Sun "oxygen" that I found cheap @ big lots. Ive used it to soak glass carboys, Better Bottles and keggles with no issues.

They usually have a substitute of Oxy Free at local Stop & Shop around here for at least half what the oxyclean stuff goes for. Works just fine.

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm worried about nothing.

msa8967 cool to see you're in Iowa. I just recently moved from des Moines back to Utah. Man i miss all the great beer there. I'd punch a hobo for a toppling goliath or a hopburst about now.

Back