Anyone think running your beer, wine or cider through copper would make it better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBacon

Reaction score
I have been wondering for awhile about using copper in brewing to get rid of off tastes. I understand it can strip sulfides out so why not run it through 20-30 feet of copper tube during racking into carboys? Dose anyone know if this would work? I understand this is the concept of why places making liquor use copper.

For example Dimethyl Sulfide (DMS), a sulfur compound produced during fermentation of beer.... Copper strips sulfides getting rid of nasty tastes and possibly rhino farts?

If you're talking racking from the boil kettle into the carboy through copper tubing... well, almost anyone who has a home-made CFC does that everytime they brew. It makes zero noticable difference from when I was using an immersion chiller.

No. While it's true that copper can get rid of H2S in wine, it's done only as an extreme measure to save the wine.

There is a reason that breweries don't have copper serving vessels- copper is good for the yeast prefermentation (they use it) but afterwards it is poisonous in large amounts.

Right, check out the Brew Strong episode on metals for an interesting discussion, but long story short the copper-sulphate oxidation product is toxic, but using copper prefermentation can in fact pull out sulphates.

I was unaware that copper can make liqour somthing toxic in large ammounts, that good to know.... I have some friends that use copper boilers for fermenting.....

Latest posts

Back