Anyone tell me what this is? (pics attached)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wakeuphicks

Reaction score
There are little gray particles floating in the beer that you can see in the first pic. The second pic you can see where what looks like a lot of those same particles have settled out on the bottom. The ones floating however, have just been sitting there for over a week and are not settling or sinking at all.
Background: this is a pumpkin ale I devised that is currently been in secondary for about 11 days. I racked on top of a spiced rum/pumpkin pie spice mixture that I had let stew for a couple of weeks while in primary. I sucked up quite a bit more sludge and junk than I aimed to when moving to secondary, so i expected some particles, but not as much as I got.
I did pitch 2 packets of yeast with this batch - is this just dead yeasties or what??

IMG_6386.jpg

IMG_6384.jpg

IMG_6385.jpg

that's just trub (proteins) or pumpkin matter. You can cold crash that out at the end of fermentation and conditioning if it hasn't already settle out. It may be floating simply because there's fermentation activity that is making the wort turbulent (that being a relative term). Anyway, NO biggie.

that's just trub (proteins) or pumpkin matter. You can cold crash that out at the end of fermentation and conditioning if it hasn't already settle out. It may be floating simply because there's fermentation activity that is making the wort turbulent (that being a relative term). Anyway, NO biggie.

Shouldnt that all have settled out by now? Its been in secondary for 2 weeks now and hasnt changed at all in the last week and a half, and it sat in primary for 2 weeks before that.
Having never attempted cold crashing, Im just not sure I wanna go through the hassle/expense of doing all that, buying ice, etc (as i dont have a fridge big enough for the carboy) just for the sake of clearer beer. I dont however, want a bunch of yeast/proteins/whatever just floating around in my beer that will never settle.

When you bottle and it's carbed sticking the bottles in the refrigerator will cold crash it. Just carefully pour into a glass and discard the bottom layer.

Back