Anyone still awake with me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInMaine

Reaction score
Well I am in the Kitchen everyone is fast off to sleep and I am brewing a Maple Brown Ale.:mug:

Well I am in the Kitchen everyone is fast off to sleep and I am brewing a Maple Brown Ale.:mug:
Lol know the feeling just got home for work at 8 knocking out a 1.5 gallon AG batch before bed time.

053.jpg

Well I wish I had the ingredients so I could be brewing with the two of you...*sigh*
I usually do a test batch on sat or sunday nights than brew my main batch on tuesdays. I pick up the ingredients for th elittle one when i get the big one. I have a constant rotation so that the 1.5 batch goes into bottles on tuesday morning wash the yeast and pitch it into the big batch that night no starters just lots o slurrry

Ok, so now I have a dilema! my pot is so full during the boil, I could not add the maple syrup. I figure that there will be room at the 15 min mark. Should I add it then? I replaced all the water with maple sap. I am 30 minutes in now and I see room in the pot with the evaporation that has taken part so far.

Ok, so now I have a dilema! my pot is so full during the boil, I could not add the maple syrup. I figure that there will be room at the 15 min mark. Should I add it then? I replaced all the water with maple sap. I am 30 minutes in now and I see room in the pot with the evaporation that has taken part so far.

Sounds good to me maybe a different maple profile

Well I had to decide, so I went with 8 oz of maple syrup at the 15 min mark. if not enough I know I will have to change it next time.

well 0400 here, and just pitched yeast 15 minutes ago. just finished cleaning up. logging out and off to bed. good morning all.

No brewing but im at work and awake.....brewing for me will be on tuesday brewing a 10 gallon batch of cream ale for my uncles kegerator

I too am awake at work, Will have 2 batches going on wednesday hopefully. Belgian wit and an IPA, not sure what kind yet though

well I woke up at 11 this morning and what active yeast. this beer is flying that is 7 hours after pitching.

TomInMaine, I have a question for you. I just came across a recipe for an extract recipe that said to start with 5 gallons of maple sap and reduce it to 2.5. This was then supposed to be the "liquor" to steep the grains in. This was for a five gallon batch, so presumably the water would be put back in. Can you see any reason to do this? Would you just do the five gallons of sap and call it a day, or is there maybe a benefit to reducing the sap that I am not seeing? Sorry if I hijacked your thread.:eek:

I am not sure I am a beginner, and just experimenting. Here is what I did . I will post how it comes out in the end.

I had 5.5 gals of maple sap. So I took 3.5 gals for my main boil. I It took a long time to bring up to boil. I had two gals left so I took one gal brought that up to about 160* and steeped my grains for 30 minutes. I took the grains and put in a collinder, and over a clean put and rinsed then with the tea I made form the steep. I added the one gal of tea to the 3.5 gals and boiled for 60 minutes. The last gal I took and put it int he pot I used to steep in and brought it up to boil for ten minutes. I took it off and put that gal in the fridge to cool lid on and sanitized by boil and steam. when I was about 10 minutes out I put the one gal in sink of cold water trying to being the temp way down. I put the one gal of Sap into the glass carboy and put airlock in place. ( I don;'t have a wort chiller I use water bath for 15 then water and Ice bath for 15. I was able to get the wort down to about 90* before I put in the carboy. When I put it into the one gal of sap already in carboy it brought the temp down to about 75* That is when I pitched the yeast. So far so Good. When I took my Hydro reading I tasted it of course and it seems like it is gong to be good. But only time will tell. I hope this helps. I am only a newbie though.
:mug::mug:

TomInMaine, I have a question for you. I just came across a recipe for an extract recipe that said to start with 5 gallons of maple sap and reduce it to 2.5. This was then supposed to be the "liquor" to steep the grains in. This was for a five gallon batch, so presumably the water would be put back in. Can you see any reason to do this? Would you just do the five gallons of sap and call it a day, or is there maybe a benefit to reducing the sap that I am not seeing? Sorry if I hijacked your thread.:eek:

No, that does help. I like to hear all of the different methods before I go at it. Thanks. I plan on brewing it up this weekend. Maybe I will go with the recipe as written. We can compare notes if you are interested. I'll post the link to the recipe when I get a chance to track it down again. Thanks again.

That will be cool, we can compare. I will take the time to write out my recipe and post sometime.

Latest posts

Back