Anyone know what's up w/ NikoBrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispylopez

Reaction score
Niko is usually my go-to for hops by the lb. For nearly a week now the site shows as "down for maintenance"...but nobody does site maintenance for that long.

Anyone know what's up?

Not sure. I recently bought from Niko during the grab bag sale but haven't been back since. But you're right the site is down.

The only thing I can think of is they have to do inventory or something like that after the sales. I know they had a Black Friday sale, then the Grab Bag sale at the end of the year, then a special "Grab Bag Sale" earlier this month. Plus I think their "pro" side of the site was open to the public. So this is my assumption.

What terrible news!

Scammers seem to be able to get away far too often and way too easy. They're playing the law like it's a deck of cards!

Hearing that the scammer is still being allowed to operate on another scamming deal is beyond comprehension. Something needs to change... huh?

In the past I've successfully claimed smaller amounts of money that was owed to me for products and services by filing through Small Claims Court. Actually, all were settled before it came to court day. Interest and filing fees were included in the claims.

There's definitely something wrong with the judicial system that these things can go on and on. Doesn't it become even criminal at some point?

A few years ago someone close to me got scammed for $23,000 by some Greek "contractor."
12 years, 2 attorneys and several suits later, the a$$hole is still walking free, drinking coffee in his local diner. Discovery showed he and his "company" were well known for scam practices, apparently. I don't think she ever recovered a penny.

Just a reminder to everyone that there two sides to every story. Don't make assumptions based on your biases.

You're right, so easy to jump the gun, and draw hasty conclusions!

Should we invite him to post his side of the story? His facebook page tells me a lot already.

Even if half of what Niko claims is true, it still sounds like a very shoddy deal. I just wonder how it's possible for someone to be taken like that.

You're right, so easy to jump the gun, and draw hasty conclusions!

Should we invite him to post his side of the story? His facebook page tells me a lot already.

Even if half of what Niko claims is true, it still sounds like a very shoddy deal. I just wonder how it's possible for someone to be taken like that.

The Niko reps would be dumb to comment at all until the issue is resolved. So, I wouldn't bother looking for further info.

I doubt that Niko was "taken". Likely, they just got in over their heads on something and they were thin on cash ($60k isn't that much in a viable company). Happens to small companies all the time. Growth usually involves risk, and in the early stages of a company the consequences of poor choices, or ventures that take more time or $$ than expected, can have results like we are seeing with Niko.

Development projects come in over budged/sched ALL THE TIME. I'd say it's built into the quoting process. Don't ask how I know.

The Niko reps would be dumb to comment at all until the issue is resolved. So, I wouldn't bother looking for further info.

I doubt that Niko was "taken". Likely, they just got in over their heads on something and they were thin on cash ($60k isn't that much in a viable company). Happens to small companies all the time. Growth usually involves risk, and in the early stages of a company the consequences of poor choices, or ventures that take more time or $$ than expected, can have results like we are seeing with Niko.

Development projects come in over budged/sched ALL THE TIME. I'd say it's built into the quoting process. Don't ask how I know.

Right, but when there's a signed agreement that they would provide 'x' goods/services, for 'y' dollars, under 'z' terms and conditions; and they failed to do that, there should be a solid breach of contract case (not being at all familiar with Oregon statutes, I don't know their terminology). But, then civil cases become a cost-benefit-risk analysis....

And, in Arizona winners can recoup court/legal costs from the loser (not sure about Oregon laws).....mainly to cut down on frivolous lawsuits.

But, just because you win and are ordered to be repaid, doesn't mean it actually happens...

Civil cases are absolutely messy. :eek:

I was referring to the defendant mentioned in the case to allow telling his side here, so we can file a more informed verdict. That was in jest, of course.

Sorry to hear about this. In my sector (nonprofit organizations), what Nikobrew went through is one of the most common reasons for failure - you have a core enterprise that is going well, so you decide to expand into a new area, something related but different, and you get in over your head and soon you lose both the new effort and the original, previously successful, enterprise.

Also, Nikobrew said that the other party 'embezzled'. If that really is the case, that's a criminal matter. Seems unlikely, but you never know. I have a former colleague who is in jail for embezzling $900K. You just never know.

Latest posts

Back