Anyone know what type of yeast is included in the brewers best kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
Looking at the ingredients it just says " yeast packet"
I'm assuming I could buy in bulk and copy there recipe and do it cheaper than the kit but can't figure out what yesst strain they use.

I was looking at these kits
Belgain triple
Peanut butter brown ale
Orange gose
Imperial stout

Assuming you want dry yeast, here are some good choices:

Belgian triple - Lallemand Abbey
Peanut butter brown ale - US-05
Orange gose - US-05
Imperial stout - S-04

IMO it's definitely better buying the ingredients yourself rather than the kit. It's less expensive and the ingredients are probably more fresh.
Cheers

Ideally, each of those could use a dedicated yeast. The Belgian Tripel surely needs a Belgian yeast. All others could use US-05 or S-04 or some generic.

Unless you get a really, really good deal on those kits, it's usually much cheaper to assemble recipes from loose bought ingredients.

Agree with both previous posters. As an example of this, I bought ingredients for an all-grain recipe for an Octoberfest ale; the price for 13 pounds of grain, a White Labs yeast packet (designed specifically for what I'm brewing) and two ounces of hops was under $34. A comparable kit with potentially older grains, etc. would easily be $10-$15 more. Dry yeast has its place, but I think liquid is way more versatile and will benefit your brews in the long run.

BTW, if I was to copy a recipe I would not pick the Brewer's Best kits as my source. They are not terrible kits, but I would rather start with some quality published recipes (the book "Brewing Classic Styles" is a solid source) or maybe from a place like Morebeer (for most of their kits they have a link to a sheet with the exact ingredients).

BTW, my local shop's website has Brewer's Best kits and they list the yeast. They only list two of the kits you listed, but I see:
  • Triple: Safbrew S-33 Dry Ale Yeast
  • Honey Brown (not PB): Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
  • Imperial Stout: Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast
BTW, there is some good quality dry yeast out there these days. There is more variety in liquid yeast, but there is no clear advantage to using liquid yeast over dry yeast.

IMO it's definitely better buying the ingredients yourself rather than the kit. It's less expensive and the ingredients are probably more fresh.
Cheers

Agree 100%.
If you're suspicious the kit might be old check the dry yeast packet for a possible expiration date. If you don't want to use that yeast it might give you an opportunity to use a liquid strain instead. Choose something similar - or not.
My first Mr. Beer kit had a dry yeast but I chose not to use it and went with a known good US-05 packet instead. Liquid yeast can be somewhat more expensive depending on the strain and might present some variety, too.

Read up on using liquid yeasts. In most cases it is advisable to make a starter when using liquid yeast. The shelf life of liquid yeast is much shorter than dry and if frozen or allowed to get hot you could have a pack of dead yeast.

Back