Anyone know what this is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you bottle they might explode. though i have done it before, just drink em quicker. (albeit, if it still tastes good) JUST WAIT TILL ITS DONE

triple check it.

i had a stout that had a pellicle like this before and it tasted awesome.

YMMV

Aliens-meme2.jpg

Only thing left to do is pull some from below that pellicle and give it a taste.
Might be awesome, might be a dumper, only your 'buds will know...

Cheers! :mug:

Its likely the large amount fo headspace that led to the infection

have you used any of the transferring or sampling equipment with any other batches? cause thats how you infect your whole brewery

How do you reckon headspace had anything to do with it? I've been fermenting in 8 gallon fermenters (3 gallons of headspace) for coming up to 5 years now without ever once having gotten an infection.

Rev.

Looks like Brett to me.

Could be tasty. Don't toss it without trying it. It will not harm you, and could surprise you.

have you used any of the transferring or sampling equipment with any other batches? cause thats how you infect your whole brewery

Too much headspace is only an issue in a secondary vessel. During primary fermentation enough CO2 is generated to not need to worry about headspace.

To OP, it looks like the beer got infected. Those sticky looking bubbles are a clear sign. It probably tastes okay right now, so I would probably just bottle it and drink it fast. Be careful of exploding bottles if you do end up bottling it. Bacteria can utilize other sugars and even proteins that yeast can't so if you do bottle it, drink it as fast as possible.

Back