Anyone know what kind of plate chiller this is?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpb2716

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine stopped over earlier to drop off a 2 faucet jockey box that a bar he used to work at would use when they sponsor tailgating events. Anyways, inside it was this monster plate chiller. I'm just curious what kind it is and if its anything decent. There's a stamp on top of it that says W040229 and a stamp on the side that says 12-20N. It measures 14 3/4" x 9 3/4" x 1 1/4" (not counting the height of where the posts mount).

Also, it's been sitting for about 15 years with water on it. Can it be cleaned after all this time?

Thanks everyone!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453509035.308544.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453509054.954945.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453509063.507492.jpg

Ok so I read that this is specifically made for a hockey box. Never seen one before. Can the be used as a wort chiller?

Letting it sit in a warm, intense PBW solution for a long time to remove all the sediment inside and out is probably a must.

In terms of whether it still works, like all things in brewing, theres only one way to find out! Always best to do a test run regardless of what others advise, you'll just have to try it with two different coloured liquids to be sure that they don't mix inside, like cold hose water, and a gallon of boiling hot tea (with milk).

My next experiment is to chill my wort by pumping it through my wort chiller which is placed inside freezing cold water and run the less-hot wort back into the boiler until it hits pitching temp. So that's one idea if this doesn't work out.

It's a 2 pass cold plate. It is designed to sit under a pile of ice water and chill beer from a keg. They work ok assuming your beer is at room temperature or cooler. By his one is for serving 2 kegs.

As far as using to chill wort I personally would not run wort through it. It may have some benefits as a preschooler for an immersion chiller but I'm not sure you would get a decent flow rate through it.

What you can do is clean it with PBW and maybe beer line cleaner the sell it for maybe $50-75 and save a little more and buy a real plate chiller.

It's a 2 pass cold plate. It is designed to sit under a pile of ice water and chill beer from a keg. They work ok assuming your beer is at room temperature or cooler. By his one is for serving 2 kegs.

Whoops! Sorry I'm not familiar with kegs, have to wait for the next person I guess!

Back