Anyone know of a place that sells 1 -3 gallon all grain kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisforbrew

Reaction score
Anyone know of a place that sells 1 -3 gallon all grain kits. I'm tired of breaking out the measuring equipment when i want to split a 5 gal kit

I just want an easy pack that has everything i need, that i can brew in a bag over my stove.

I do a lot of 1 and 3 gallon batches. What I do a lot is look at recipes I want to make, pull up brewing software (I use BrewersFriend online, but I've also heard good things about BrewTarget, or BeerSmith which lots of people here use but you have to pay for), enter the recipe in as-is, note the OG and FG, along with the percentages of malts and IBUs. Then I reduce the final volume of the recipe, and start dividing and multiplying to get new amounts of ingredients. I double check that ingredient percentages, gravities, and IBUs are similar to what the original recipe was.

You might not want to go that route, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

I think a few big name brew shops make their recipes available for everyone, so you can look those up and tweak them as you see fit and assemble them yourself. Same with the recipes available on sites like this one.

you don't really need measuring - other than some scales for the grain

also if you've got a jug or scoop and you know it does roughly a kilo or lb or something - you can just use that as a rough measure instead of weighing out

kits are expensive and they always seem to skimp on the good stuff - so I just buy bulk grain now

I buy 100g packs of hops and usually do my own recipes (derivatives of something I've seen online) that require a half or quarter or all of a pack - so I don't need to weigh anything

the thing I've found with brewing is - if you're not trying to 100% some recipe - and you get your temps right for mash/ferment - whatever you do is going to be damn good beer - if it's not good beer it will be after a month in the bottle

I've been very impressed with both Brooklyn Brew Shop and Hop Hero. The kits can be a bit on the pricey side, but they are a very good "gateway" and are 100% re-useable. The pre-packaged mixes are also very good, though a bit pricey.

If you have no LHBS nearby or are still "learning the ropes" and deciding if brewing is your thing, they are a very good option, in my opinion.

Back