anyone know of a chest freezer that will TIGHTLY hold three 5 gal kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrkinYards

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine if there is a chest freezer in existence that someone knows will hold either three or (4) 5 gal kegs. I had thought about squeezing (2) 2.5 or 3 gal kegs into my existing kegerator, but starting to think it might be cheaper to find a chest freezer that will hold either 3 or 4 as is and sell my current kegerator to a friend that wants it. Currently I can hold (2) 5 gal kegs in what I have.

The only constraining thing is that I really need the external width of the chest freezer to be no more than 31" wide - height and depth don't matter.

I can measure mine but it sounds exactly like what you're looking for. Tiny footprint and holds 3 kegs perfectly.

Kick ass - let me know what the width is and then please share the model if you can. Would love to see a picture as well!

I can measure mine but it sounds exactly like what you're looking for. Tiny footprint and holds 3 kegs perfectly.

Sounds like the Woods is perfect for 3 kegs. If you build a tall collar, the GE 5.0 cf freezer is just barely big enough for 4 ball lock kegs (and a 5# CO2 tank if you don't mind denting the interior a little as you wedge it in). The footprint is 22" deep X 28 5/16" wide.

I think I've read that the 5.0cf freezers are a pretty tight fit for 3 and if the collar is tall enough, 4.

I think I've read that the 5.0cf freezers are a pretty tight fit for 3 and if the collar is tall enough, 4.

Now I'm curious if there is some way to squeeze a 3rd in my kegerator - can't wait to see pictures of how people have done it. 99% sure mine is a 5cf but haven't figured out how I could squeeze 3 in yet.

To my knowledge no 5.0cf freezer will hold 3 pinlock kegs without a collar. There might be a few that hold 3 ball locks.

I started with 2 5-gallon ball-lock kegs in my 5.0 cf freezer with 5 lb co2 inside with a short-ish 3 or so inch collar. Added a third keg in the form of a 3-gallon keg, still with the co2 inside then decided I needed more beer on tap.... So I built an 8-ish inch collar for it and move the co2 outside and can wedge 4 5-gallon ball-lock kegs inside - see it here

...of course just this weekend I upgraded to a 7.0 cf freezer that will fit 4 kegs comfortably and 6 kegs tightly. I started with a small collar but we'll see what happens.

My freezer will hold 3 kegs tightly. Right now I use the space for 2 kegs, ball or pin lock fit fine, and the third spot I have my 20lb CO2 tank.

I looked on the back of mine and I believe it is 5 cf. I could've sworn it said 3 cf but that doesn't sound right. I can get dimensions tonight.

FYI, no need for a collar on mine, it is tall enough.

My freezer will hold 3 kegs tightly. Right now I use the space for 2 kegs, ball or pin lock fit fine, and the third spot I have my 20lb CO2 tank.

I looked on the back of mine and I believe it is 5 cf. I could've sworn it said 3 cf but that doesn't sound right. I can get dimensions tonight.

FYI, no need for a collar on mine, it is tall enough.

Cool - would love to see a picture of the inside as well. I'd rather not do this collar thing if possible, but I suppose it is an option.

I just built my keezer last week and was skeptical of the collar as well because I haven't done any wood working since 8th grade lol. However, with that said, I finished the project by just reading on this forum and some common sense. It is sealed, insulated and is now dispensing my pints just perfectly. It isn't even an eye sore and actually looks good. My SWMBO even approves of it and invited her friends over this weekend to see it! So, don't be scared to attempt the collar. Just read and use common sense and you'll be fine. If I can do it with zero wood working skills, I'm sure you can too!

Now I'm curious if there is some way to squeeze a 3rd in my kegerator - can't wait to see pictures of how people have done it. 99% sure mine is a 5cf but haven't figured out how I could squeeze 3 in yet.

And Orkin, check out the Show Us Your Kegerator thread. It has thousands of posts of different styles and setups with all the options to maximize keg space in all freezers and fridges.

Latest posts

Back