Anyone kegged a 1.070 around 11 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OZZ

Reaction score
Whats up HBT :tank:

A million of these questions are posted I realize and here comes another one. I brewed a red IPA on June 26th (11 days ago) fermentation was strong and completed around day 5 or so. It ended up being much higher OG than originally planned because I broke my 6.5 gallon carboy and only had a 5 gallon secondary on hand so I boiled it down to 5 gallons.

OG 1.075 FG 1.014 ABV 8.0% IBU 88 Saf US-05

Turns out Im having a UFC party on Saturday that I wasnt planning on having and I only have 1 corny on hand otherwise so Im seriously considering cold crashing it until thursday (2 day cold crash) then hitting it with 30 PSI for two days until the party.

Its a heavy grain bill though, Ive rushed light beers, but this one Im not sure about due to the high ABV and heavy grain bill.

Heres the kicker though, the sample I just drank tastes great. Possibly even the best tasting sample Ive brewed to date.

Grain bill is:

7lbs 2 row
5lbs munich
8 oz crystal 40
8 oz crystal 120
1 oz black patent
1.5 oz nugget @ 60
1 oz willamete @ 10
1 oz willamet @ 5

Im sure theres some people out there that have rushed higher gravity beers. Its had 11 days on the primary and I was planning on giving it 3 weeks and dry hopping but the sample tasted so good Im thinking of just crashing and kegging it as is so I can have it ready for the party.

Whats the vote ... think I can swing it??? I pretty much need to decide tonight or tomorrow at the absolute latest. Either that or we just have to get by with 1 corny and Im not sure how thats gonna work out lol.

I say, what do you have to lose? Go for it! Either way you will learn something.

Just sent my IPA to the keg today and drew off a pint to taste, I need to dry hop it still but its ready to serve 11 days after the brewday. It started at 1.068 and ended at 1.009 or 8% AVB

I've been completely won over by Brulosophy's assertion that most beers can be turned around a lot more quickly than the current conventional wisdom states so long as the yeast pitch is large, and fermentation temps can be controlled and used in a way to finish up fermentation quickly without off flavors. If you haven't already read this post, give it a read: http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/25/pitch-ramp-crash-how-i-ferment/

Why cold crash first though? I would just keg it up now and leave on 30 PSI for 48 hrs, then dial it back to serving pressure... pull the nasty pints before anyone gets there and you'll be good to go.

If it tastes great now, go for it. I have a 1.068 stout that will get kegged on day 10 next week (it is basically done now...WLP002 is superfast). I find that when the yeast is done, having the beer sit in a cold keg is pretty much only going to help things get better.

Right on right on! I cold crashed it this morning, was planning on letting it set until Friday morning then hit it with 30 psi until the party at 4pm on sat. So on gas at 30 psi for around 34 hrs.

After some of your guys responses though I'm thinking maybe I should just cut the cold crash short (it's already gonna be around a twelve hour crash) and keg it now.

That way I can hit it at 30 for a few days then dial it back and let it set. That seems like the way to go.

I'll give that link a good read. Thanks guys!

Just read that link above, I'm gonna hit it with 40 psi for 24 hours then dial it back to 12 (my serving pressure) and let it set until sat.

We'll see!

Back