Anyone have Rigor Mortis ABT recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jturman35

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is a shot in the dark but just thought I would ask! Anyone have this clone or recipe?

IMG_0649.jpg

And yes that 12 ounce beer cost $5.79 and yes I would buy it again! If I’m not mistaken this beer was brewed in 2016!

I have never had it so I'm not gonna embarrass myself by offering a recipe. That said I'd breakdown the beer quality and start there. For instance...

Yeast - was it spicy, eatery, phenolic, etc and choose a yeast accordingly.

Malt - clearly it's not super dark but do you detect roasted malt character or is it like a lot of darker Belgian and German beers using a tiny amount of huskless or roasted wheat for color adjustment? Grain flavors isnit simple base malt heavy or more specialty malt derived flavor?

Water, probably soft even if firmly buttered.

Get the idea? Just take a swing at the beer properties and formulate an approximation then tweak from there!

If I were to make a big fat Belgian brown I'd go:
10% table sugar to dry it out
5% biscuit malt
8% aromatic malt
3% special b
3% debittered carafa II
71% Pilsner malt
Shoot for 1.080-90 og
Mash low, 147
Ferment with favorite Belgian yeast wlp 500 or 530
Pitch and ferment first 60 hours at 65 then let free rise into the low 70s.

Think I just talked myself into making a Belgian brown ale!

Yea, this beer is smooth! I think the one beer I had was 2 years old so sure that helped the style. I recall this beer being super smooth for 10.5%. I believe the subtle spice flavor comes from the yeast. It’s been awhile since I had this beer but I was blown away by it. I actually shared this beer with my brother who is a Bud light guy and he even liked it.

I don’t have much experience with Belgiums but I did a Chimay Dark Strong clone in March and used WLP570, does the estery flavor from the yeast decline over time??? My beer was 10% but is nowhere near as smooth. It’s also only been in the keg 5 months.

Last edited:
Thoughts on using Maris Otter and a blend of Vienna instead of Pilsner malt? The Rigor Morris beer has more of an Imperial Brown taste to me than a big Belgium.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back