Anyone have experience with Morebeer glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver_Alan

Reaction score
I saw this glycol chiller from Morebeer. It is priced lower than most of the others I have seen at $699. Does anyone have any experience with it?
https://www.morebeer.com/products/icemaster-glycol-chiller.html
I want to control fermentation temperatures in a single Spike CF10 conical. I also need to be able to cold crash. It will be the garage with summertime temperatures in excess of 100.
I am also looking at the penguin, it appears to have more cooling potential but is $200 higher.

its only 1200 btu i would say its not really overkill if you want to cold crash. by comparison most DIY chillers ive seen use a 5000-8000 btu window ac unit..

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. BTU ratings are meaningless without the spec on LWT- leaving water temp. Typical AC tonnage/BTU is typically de-rated by 50% when talking about 28F glycol temps. Many small chiller units also come from the wine industry where LWT is around 48 or 50F.

Thanks for the replies. Right now I am leaning toward the Penguin. Mainly because of good experiences from other HBT members.
I was hoping for some firsthand reviews from someone who has that unit. Morebeer return policy is 60 days so I am also considering being the guinea pig and if it I am not happy with it send it back. I would only be out the shipping and Glycol.

Blazin your probably right about Glycol being overkill but my current method is to lift the conical into an upright freezer. No Matter which way I go it is cheaper then a trip to the ER after messing my back up by lifting a 100 lb conical full of wort.
As I keep reminding my wife this hobby is much less expensive than golf that I gave up because of back problems.
Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the replies. Right now I am leaning toward the Penguin. Mainly because of good experiences from other HBT members.
I was hoping for some firsthand reviews from someone who has that unit. Morebeer return policy is 60 days so I am also considering being the guinea pig and if it I am not happy with it send it back. I would only be out the shipping and Glycol.

Blazin your probably right about Glycol being overkill but my current method is to lift the conical into an upright freezer. No Matter which way I go it is cheaper then a trip to the ER after messing my back up by lifting a 100 lb conical full of wort.
As I keep reminding my wife this hobby is much less expensive than golf that I gave up because of back problems.
Thanks everyone.
Is your brewstand close to your upright freezer? I Brew in my basement and have a smooth concrete floor. I added wheels to my upright freezer/fridge and roll it over to the stand with the conical already inside then pump into it. Much simpler/cheaper than glychol *if* it works in your setup . Not knocking glycol. I just feel glycol is more suited to several fermenters or very large ones that can't fit in a fridge. Cheers

its only 1200 btu i would say its not really overkill if you want to cold crash. by comparison most DIY chillers ive seen use a 5000-8000 btu window ac unit..

Where did you see that 1200 BTU #? I see 3000 on the product page. The Penguin Chiller (which I have) is 2650 for comparison.

Where did you see that 1200 BTU #? I see 3000 on the product page. The Penguin Chiller (which I have) is 2650 for comparison.
Sure thats what it says NOW but thats not what it said before. I still have the original page loaded in another browser window and it still says 1200.. Looks like someone at morebeer saw this and pulled a shady correction without chiming in...

https://screenshots.firefox.com/V5coW23QTQ1te4hP/www.morebeer.com

I use an old gluntz and jensen processor chiller(only used with water) which is a repurposed beverage line chiller thats smaller than the one in morebeers ad and it cools 4 stainless conicals (3 of them are over 12 gallons each plus one 7.3 gallon conical) just fine. Ive had beers in all four at proper temps with no issues but they are usually at different stages of fermentation so the load is not heavy on the chiller.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering one. 60 days no hassle return so why not. It will be here Monday. Report to follow hopefully.

Unit arrived late. Will have time to mess with it tomorrow. In the meantime here’s the owners manual.

Pretty straight forward. No frills manual.
https://brewmasterwholesale.com/images/file.php?file_id=21570

Ive been considering getting this, but Ive heard that chillers tend to be loud. My plan is to have one in alcove adjacent to living room. SS Brewtech sounded hella loud and there is no way Im placing it there. Wondering if this is quiet enough to be able to listen to TV etc.

Ive been considering getting this, but Ive heard that chillers tend to be loud. My plan is to have one in alcove adjacent to living room. SS Brewtech sounded hella loud and there is no way Im placing it there. Wondering if this is quiet enough to be able to listen to TV etc.
I haven’t fired mine up yet. Just received glycol and will have it running probably tomorrow afternoon. I’ll report with some photos. Size is similar to a small filing cabinet.

Alright folks. I don’t have any other chillers to compare this to.

The reservoir took 8 gallons of distilled water to 2 gallons of kosher PG.
Just to give you an idea here’s a pic with one Spike glycol pump and another one with a gallon water jug.

I still don’t have a brew to experiment with it. I’ve only put the glycol solution so I can set it to chill the reservoir.

The unit is set to degrees Celsius. I don’t think it can be set to Fahrenheit.

Noise ... as loud as a microwave. I take it once it gets to temperature it will settle down after initial cool down. I’m just glad my fermentation station is in the garage.

So that’s just the initial set-up. I can list further detail once brew day arrives.

So yeah, I don’t know what others sound like for comparison of noise level.

EDIT: The noise lowers in volume as it the unit reaches set temp. I should have guessed that first run will most likely be loud.

6EF36873-14F3-42E2-A61B-1756F51CA3A1.jpeg
46C0D64E-A98E-4979-BDBB-DA9AD5994BE7.jpeg
7A01C5EB-96DD-4FE6-A013-531E7386155E.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks! Guess I'm going with Aquarium chiller
Yeah, there’s no way I’d have this inside. Now that it’s at temp it only kicks on to maintain it. Not too annoying, really. I also listened to a youtuber’s post of their 3/8 HP Ss brewtech and it’s about the same level of noise when it’s actively cooling.

I went and ordered one also. I have had it about a week and have been running it with water in my conical to get an idea how well it works. I have been talking to Morebeer about several issues. I will post a full report along with their responses next week.

Yeah, there’s no way I’d have this inside. Now that it’s at temp it only kicks on to maintain it. Not too annoying, really. I also listened to a youtuber’s post of their 3/8 HP Ss brewtech and it’s about the same level of noise when it’s actively cooling.
When it's at temp and running is it still loud? I'm interested in getting one, but it will be on the patio right outside of our bedroom window which is usually open...and my wife won't care about how much better the beer will be. :)

If you have one outside your window it will probably remind you of an air conditioner ...but only for a few minutes. TC time will probably vary depending each owners setting. I imagine on the warmer days it may be noticeable out side your bedroom window.

I haven’t sat out in the garage to observe yet as I won’t have a brew day until my boil kettle comes back (had some custom welding done). By next week I’ll have it fully running on it’s first brew and can better answer questions.

It’s just been quite to me only because it’s out in the sound proof garage.

In this month’s issue of Craft Beer & Brewing magazine they featured the Icemaster 100 in between Craft a Brew’s “Stasis” and Ss brewtch 3/8 HP chiller. They claimed Icemaster the quietest of the three. I’ll take their word for it since I don’t have the other two to compare it. Article (https://www.pressreader.com/usa/craft-beer-brewing-magazine/20180820/283068415163069)

It certainly can’t keep up with Ss brewtechs 3/8 HP but for being half that price and better than their 1/3 HP version I feel this is a good deal.

But my verdict is still out because I still need to experience a brew with it but so far it’s looking good.

Hope this info helps.

If you have one outside your window it will probably remind you of an air conditioner ...but only for a few minutes. TC time will probably vary depending each owners setting. I imagine on the warmer days it may be noticeable out side your bedroom window.

I haven’t sat out in the garage to observe yet as I won’t have a brew day until my boil kettle comes back (had some custom welding done). By next week I’ll have it fully running on it’s first brew and can better answer questions.

It’s just been quite to me only because it’s out in the sound proof garage.

In this month’s issue of Craft Beer & Brewing magazine they featured the Icemaster 100 in between Craft a Brew’s “Stasis” and Ss brewtch 3/8 HP chiller. They claimed Icemaster the quietest of the three. I’ll take their word for it since I don’t have the other two to compare it. Article (https://www.pressreader.com/usa/craft-beer-brewing-magazine/20180820/283068415163069)

It certainly can’t keep up with Ss brewtechs 3/8 HP but for being half that price and better than their 1/3 HP version I feel this is a good deal.

But my verdict is still out because I still need to experience a brew with it but so far it’s looking good.

Hope this info helps.
That is very helpful, thank you! I can't wait to hear how it works with the beer. Good luck with the new kettle!

I purchased the Icemaster 100 form Morebeer and have been using it for several weeks. Morebeer offers a 60 day return and I am considering returning it. However the return shipping will be high.

I do not recommend the Icemaster 100.

First the good:

It arrived about 1 week after ordering with free shipping. I was worried when I saw it on the porch. Fed Ex had destroyed the box. It was torn in several places, had several holes and most of the corners were damaged. Fortunately Morebeer packaged it well. Inside the outer box all of the Connors had foam protectors. The inner box was not damaged.

The chiller works well despite many problems I will get to later.

After assembly without any instructions I let it set undisturbed for 24 hours to allow the compressor oil to settle and then filled it with water to test. I set the temperature to 2.2 degrees Celsius. It cannot be changed to Fahrenheit which is annoying. I checked back in one hour and water was at 36 degrees. It easily maintained this temperature in an 85 degree garage. After 24 hours Ice was beginning to build up around the coils in the tank. After testing for 24 hours I attempted to drain so I could refill with a glycol solution. I opened the drain and it very slowly started dripping out. It took over 20 hours to drain.

It also performs well with warm wort in a conical. I brewed a 10 gal batch, chilled to 101 degrees with a counter flow chiller and filled my conical.

The icemaster had been refilled with a 20% glycol solution. The reservoir only holds about a little over 8 gallons. (It is advertised as holding 10 gallons) I set it at -2.2 degrees Celsius (28F) and it was quickly at temperature.

10 gallons of wort dropped from 101F to 66F in 1 hour with a 10F degree rise in the glycol temperature. The compressor ran the entire time. After two hours the wort temperature had stabilized at 60F and the glycol temperature was down to -2.7C. The compressor will was still running continuously. The glycol temperature quickly dropped to the set temperature of -2.2C and the compressor then cut off. The Icemaster is easily able to maintain the set temperature of -2.2 in a warm garage while holding 10 gallon of wort at 60-65 F. It can also easily drop the wort temperature to 36F to chill.

Unfortunately there are many problems with the Icemaster 100.

Upon removing from the box and examining the unit I was pleased that there was not any physical damage. I did however notice that there were two screws that hold the top on missing and one screw missing from a side panel. There was also one side panel screw that was present but had been stripped. I examined the other screw holes and they did not appear stripped, just missing. The paint was also starting to flake off around these holes and the metal was beginning to rust.

I also noticed a loud rattling noise coming from the lower compressor compartment. I opened it and found two large bolts bouncing around in the bottom I still do not know where these bolts came from.

The Icemaster is also very loud. It is in my garage and I can hear it indoors when the compressor is running. I cannot see how anyone could keep this indoors.

The drain would be a nice feature if it worked. It took over 20 hours to drain about 8 gallons of water. I may just plug it up to prevent leaks.

The instructions that come with the icemaster are a joke! The set you can download from Morebeer are only slightly better. For $900 someone needs to sit-down and wright a decent set of instructions and include them in the packaging.

I shared my concerns with Morebeer and Tony Lemos responded within 24 hours asking for more information and photos. I replied with the requested information and have not heard back from Tony. It has been two weeks. I would at least expect a form letter saying they are not willing to do anything based on the problems I have experienced.

Overall the unit performs well but is very loud and was missing screws. I am concerned about the shoddy workmanship from the factory in China. I wonder how this will affect the lifespan of the Icemaster. The Penguin 1/2 HP chiller has good reviews and is only $100 more.

Based on it being loud and the workmanship I do not recommend the Icemaster 100 !!!!!!!

If anyone in the Oklahoma City area is interested purchasing my Icemaster 100 let my know.

When it's at temp and running is it still loud? I'm interested in getting one, but it will be on the patio right outside of our bedroom window which is usually open...and my wife won't care about how much better the beer will be. :)

I do not think your wife would be happy with this outside your open bedroom window. I have in my garage and can hear it inside when the compressor turns on.

I do not think your wife would be happy with this outside your open bedroom window. I have in my garage and can hear it inside when the compressor turns on.
Thanks. After hearing the reviews about poor build quality and noise, I decided to go DIY with a 5k BTU AC and cooler. At only $200 and an afternoon to build, I really can't stomach $800 for a fair to poor quality off the shelf item.

I purchased the Icemaster 100 form Morebeer and have been using it for several weeks. Morebeer offers a 60 day return and I am considering returning it. However the return shipping will be high.

I do not recommend the Icemaster 100.

First the good:

It arrived about 1 week after ordering with free shipping. I was worried when I saw it on the porch. Fed Ex had destroyed the box. It was torn in several places, had several holes and most of the corners were damaged. Fortunately Morebeer packaged it well. Inside the outer box all of the Connors had foam protectors. The inner box was not damaged.

The chiller works well despite many problems I will get to later.

After assembly without any instructions I let it set undisturbed for 24 hours to allow the compressor oil to settle and then filled it with water to test. I set the temperature to 2.2 degrees Celsius. It cannot be changed to Fahrenheit which is annoying. I checked back in one hour and water was at 36 degrees. It easily maintained this temperature in an 85 degree garage. After 24 hours Ice was beginning to build up around the coils in the tank. After testing for 24 hours I attempted to drain so I could refill with a glycol solution. I opened the drain and it very slowly started dripping out. It took over 20 hours to drain.

It also performs well with warm wort in a conical. I brewed a 10 gal batch, chilled to 101 degrees with a counter flow chiller and filled my conical.

The icemaster had been refilled with a 20% glycol solution. The reservoir only holds about a little over 8 gallons. (It is advertised as holding 10 gallons) I set it at -2.2 degrees Celsius (28F) and it was quickly at temperature.

10 gallons of wort dropped from 101F to 66F in 1 hour with a 10F degree rise in the glycol temperature. The compressor ran the entire time. After two hours the wort temperature had stabilized at 60F and the glycol temperature was down to -2.7C. The compressor will was still running continuously. The glycol temperature quickly dropped to the set temperature of -2.2C and the compressor then cut off. The Icemaster is easily able to maintain the set temperature of -2.2 in a warm garage while holding 10 gallon of wort at 60-65 F. It can also easily drop the wort temperature to 36F to chill.

Unfortunately there are many problems with the Icemaster 100.

Upon removing from the box and examining the unit I was pleased that there was not any physical damage. I did however notice that there were two screws that hold the top on missing and one screw missing from a side panel. There was also one side panel screw that was present but had been stripped. I examined the other screw holes and they did not appear stripped, just missing. The paint was also starting to flake off around these holes and the metal was beginning to rust.

I also noticed a loud rattling noise coming from the lower compressor compartment. I opened it and found two large bolts bouncing around in the bottom I still do not know where these bolts came from.

The Icemaster is also very loud. It is in my garage and I can hear it indoors when the compressor is running. I cannot see how anyone could keep this indoors.

The drain would be a nice feature if it worked. It took over 20 hours to drain about 8 gallons of water. I may just plug it up to prevent leaks.

The instructions that come with the icemaster are a joke! The set you can download from Morebeer are only slightly better. For $900 someone needs to sit-down and wright a decent set of instructions and include them in the packaging.

I shared my concerns with Morebeer and Tony Lemos responded within 24 hours asking for more information and photos. I replied with the requested information and have not heard back from Tony. It has been two weeks. I would at least expect a form letter saying they are not willing to do anything based on the problems I have experienced.

Overall the unit performs well but is very loud and was missing screws. I am concerned about the shoddy workmanship from the factory in China. I wonder how this will affect the lifespan of the Icemaster. The Penguin 1/2 HP chiller has good reviews and is only $100 more.

Based on it being loud and the workmanship I do not recommend the Icemaster 100 !!!!!!!

If anyone in the Oklahoma City area is interested purchasing my Icemaster 100 let my know.

I read in some of the reviews that the noise comes from poor assembly. Once you check over every screw and either tighten or replace them with nuts & bolts, it becomes a lot quieter. You shouldn't have to that for an $800 unit, but it is what it is. I was considering the Penguin, but the small reservoir had me a little worried about using it for my three Grainfather conical fermenters, especially in my garage during these Texas summers. I went ahead and ordered an Icemaster. I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb when it comes in and make any necessary adjustments before filling it up. If I end up not liking it, I'll return it.

I read in some of the reviews that the noise comes from poor assembly. Once you check over every screw and either tighten or replace them with nuts & bolts, it becomes a lot quieter. You shouldn't have to that for an $800 unit, but it is what it is. I was considering the Penguin, but the small reservoir had me a little worried about using it for my three Grainfather conical fermenters, especially in my garage during these Texas summers. I went ahead and ordered an Icemaster. I'm going to go over it with a fine tooth comb when it comes in and make any necessary adjustments before filling it up. If I end up not liking it, I'll return it.

Hi Arthur, just pinging to check on your Icemaster experience now that you've had it for a few months. I like its reservoir size and price, but am concerned about all the comments about quality issues and "home repair" requirements to get it into shape. Thanks.

Hi Arthur, just pinging to check on your Icemaster experience now that you've had it for a few months. I like its reservoir size and price, but am concerned about all the comments about quality issues and "home repair" requirements to get it into shape. Thanks.

It's been working very well. The credit MoreBeer gave me for my trouble was worth it. The fan still makes more noise than I'd like, but I should be able to fix it pretty easily. I've just been lazy.

@PeteSeattle, I am considering the MoreBeer unit. Are you still using it? If you could turn back time, would you still buy it or would you buy the Penguin?

@Diver_Alan, did you ever get rid of the MoreBeer unit and buy a different manufacturer like a Penguin?

the penquin chillers are made from repurposed window ac units.funny but most of the photos that show this have recently been removed from thier website and replaced with logo photos, and a google search but theres a recent thread about this here with pics that clearly show a window ac unit along with pics of the unmodified window ac unit so you can see its the same unit with modified face and tank added.

They work well and they will also be as loud as a window ac unit running inside vs hanging outside of a window but still they will be quieter than most actual professionally designed chillers. I own 5 different chillers and can say the fans are kinda loud on all of your purpose built chillers making them louder than most fridges and freezers because noise is not normally as much of a concern as size is in the normal field of use for a commercial chiller. brewing beer on a professional level at home quietly is not really something they make special residential chillers like aquarium chillers for yet.

Last edited:
Hey guys... Probably been years since my last post but,

I recently purchased a used 14 gallon SS Brewtech Chronical BME for $400 with the chilling package (he also added the blowoff and 5 gallons of glycol, but I digress...) and was looking at a "cheap" glycol chiller. It looks like you guys are still happy with your purchase of the icemaster 100? It is available at a few places now, including amazon 3rd party, all around the $799 price point, which is a lot more than I really wanted to spend, but it seems like that is the cheapest option other than an ice bath, a self build (which, although cheaper at first, might not be able to handle when I start adding in more fermenters) or a used model. I have been looking for a used model for a bit, but then you run the risk of it breaking, and since these things are heavy and a lot of people selling them had them in an actual brewery, they are pricey!!

Regardless, this icemaster 100 seems to have a pretty large tank at 8 gallons. So the question is: How much of that is going into the line? I was looking at some of the competition and they dont have a holding tank anywhere near that much. Some are as small as 1 gallon. Are you guys noticing a drop in temp in the unit as it begins to cool? Is anyone using this for 50+ gallons and if so, how is it working for you?

Cheers!!

My Icemaster 100 just **** the bed after 6 months of use (7 brews) What are your thoughts?:
Process was typicaly the same for every batch:

When in use:
Fermentation: Set glycol to 32 degrees to keep tank at ferm temps (62-72) for 10-15 days

Cold crashing: Set glycol to 25 degrees to keep tank at 36 degrees (3-4 days)

When not in use:
Turn system off completely. Glycol would rise to room temp (60 degrees). When I would turn the system on the day before a brew day it would take about 2 hours to get the glycol from room temp to 32 degrees.

What happened:
Turned the chiller on and after 2 hours the temp dropped maybe 1/2 a degree. I knew something was wrong. I took the lid off and everything looked normal. The lead going into the glycol was cold to the touch but the coil itself was not getting cold (strange). I removed 1/2 the glycol and only about 8 inches of the top part of the coil was frosting and getting cold (20 degrees with my therm pen) The rest of the coil was not (60 degrees with my therm pen).

Thoughts???

My Icemaster 100....

What happened:
Turned the chiller on and after 2 hours the temp dropped maybe 1/2 a degree. I knew something was wrong. I took the lid off and everything looked normal. The lead going into the glycol was cold to the touch but the coil itself was not getting cold (strange). I removed 1/2 the glycol and only about 8 inches of the top part of the coil was frosting and getting cold (20 degrees with my therm pen) The rest of the coil was not (60 degrees with my therm pen).

Thoughts???

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm using my Icemaster 100 for the first time as I write this and have been very happy thus far with its performance. I plan on cold crashing at 36F in about four days.

As @augiedoggy pointed out in another thread where you posted, it sounds like you have a freon leak. I would imagine it should be an easy fix, though you probably will need to call an A/C guy unless you are certified in using freon and have the experience fixing leaks.

Before calling an A/C guy, I would call MoreBeer since they have a one year warranty on equipment they sell. They may even know where the leak is originating from. Otherwise, dye may need to be added to the system to determine where the leak is.

Never-the-less, your best option is calling MoreBeer today and turn in a warranty claim.

Good luck!

Pulled the trigger on an Icemaster 100. Two weeks now into fermenting a lager (which was previously not possible with my "Igloo Chiller"), and so far it is operating flawlessly, and keeping things rock-solid at 50F. What a relief not to have to change out ice bottles once or twice a day in my 80+F garage -- set it and forget it! We shall see how it handles an extended 35F cold crash, but I'm not expecting any problems.

I did not experience any of the start up issues previously reported; hopefully with all the feedback better QA is now being employed.

The only issue I see is that if you will be using this for multiple fermenters (and their associated glycol tubing and pump power lines), then you will need to develop a solution for getting those lines into the glycol reservoir. There is only room to get one set of lines into the tank. This can be done either by cutting holes or a notch into the reservoir's top cover, or by opening one of the top panels to allow access (with a little loss in insulation efficiency). Not a deal breaker by any means, but it's odd that a chiller which is designed to support up to 5 fermenters doesn't have the means to run the corresponding lines into the reservoir!

Will up date if there is anything else to report.

Pulled the trigger on an Icemaster 100. Two weeks now into fermenting a lager (which was previously not possible with my "Igloo Chiller"), and so far it is operating flawlessly, and keeping things rock-solid at 50F. What a relief not to have to change out ice bottles once or twice a day in my 80+F garage -- set it and forget it! We shall see how it handles an extended 35F cold crash, but I'm not expecting any problems.

I did not experience any of the start up issues previously reported; hopefully with all the feedback better QA is now being employed.

The only issue I see is that if you will be using this for multiple fermenters (and their associated glycol tubing and pump power lines), then you will need to develop a solution for getting those lines into the glycol reservoir. There is only room to get one set of lines into the tank. This can be done either by cutting holes or a notch into the reservoir's top cover, or by opening one of the top panels to allow access (with a little loss in insulation efficiency). Not a deal breaker by any means, but it's odd that a chiller which is designed to support up to 5 fermenters doesn't have the means to run the corresponding lines into the reservoir!

Will up date if there is anything else to report.

Take a look at the pics on this link that shows my solution. I believe you can easily support five fermenters.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...tainless-bulkheads.667259/page-2#post-8647328

??? I am totally confused. Don't all ten of those hose barbs lead to the glycol reservoir?

Back