Anyone Have Conan Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my experience that I shared with someone just now for YG001:

Attenuation:
65*F - 78%
67*F - 79%
2 batches at ambient Temp - 65-68*F - 80-85.5% (APA was 85.5%, pitched onto the yeast cake of the IPA)

Now there is a new development in this: today I had two of my Imperial IPA (1st Conan batch) blow up. It is VERY possible that YG001 is a blend or I had an infection. The last two batches were actually from yeast that froze that I then restarted. The background strong peach/apricot flavor is still there though. So my thinking is the infection (mine or theirs, on purpose or not) became dominant over time, making the peach/apricot very VERY strong and eventually leading to bottle bombs. I had stable gravity readings for a whole week in secondary, so I don't think I bottled too early.

I am not trying to say they have an issue with their system, but I can say that from batch 1 until batch 4 the peach flavor did become stronger and the attenuation became greater. This leads me to believe there is a specific strain that creates the strong flavor and it is dampened by a more neutral strain (this is why reusing the yeast leads to the wrong flavor).

The drop in gravity could be an infection in my own system, but no off flavors came up over 3 months (and a drop of 4-6 gravity points in the beers).

Using very very novice logic: YG001 is a blend and the flavor blend is very high attenuating (and is used in a small percentage in the blend, leading to higher attenuation over time, so drink up quick!).
Supporting this is the overbearing peach/apricot flavor that comes up when you overuse the yeast. I made something very similar to a Zombie Dust clone and I could BARELY taste the Citra!

Here is my experience that I shared with someone just now for YG001:

Attenuation:
65*F - 78%
67*F - 79%
2 batches at ambient Temp - 65-68*F - 80-85.5% (APA was 85.5%, pitched onto the yeast cake of the IPA)

Now there is a new development in this: today I had two of my Imperial IPA (1st Conan batch) blow up. It is VERY possible that YG001 is a blend or I had an infection. The last two batches were actually from yeast that froze that I then restarted. The background strong peach/apricot flavor is still there though. So my thinking is the infection (mine or theirs, on purpose or not) became dominant over time, making the peach/apricot very VERY strong and eventually leading to bottle bombs. I had stable gravity readings for a whole week in secondary, so I don't think I bottled too early.

I am not trying to say they have an issue with their system, but I can say that from batch 1 until batch 4 the peach flavor did become stronger and the attenuation became greater. This leads me to believe there is a specific strain that creates the strong flavor and it is dampened by a more neutral strain (this is why reusing the yeast leads to the wrong flavor).

The drop in gravity could be an infection in my own system, but no off flavors came up over 3 months (and a drop of 4-6 gravity points in the beers).

Using very very novice logic: YG001 is a blend and the flavor blend is very high attenuating (and is used in a small percentage in the blend, leading to higher attenuation over time, so drink up quick!).
Supporting this is the overbearing peach/apricot flavor that comes up when you overuse the yeast. I made something very similar to a Zombie Dust clone and I could BARELY taste the Citra!

Based on this, I am going to have to take one of my GY054 packs and start it to make a bunch of cakes in mason jars before using.

My Heady dregs are finally taking off too...

GY054 did the same thing - terribly aggressive so far. I don't think it's YB's strain, I think it's just how Conan works.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back