Anyone have any idea how long Hop Shots will last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up buying the bulk hop extract instead of a just a couple syringes, but now I have a lot. I plan to freeze it. Does anyone know how long they will last?

Kept cool and dark i'm sure it will last a long while. I believe it's very stable in that form as a result of how it's processed. (i could be completely wrong though lol)

That's my feeling too. In my line of work, when we freeze something, we basically consider it locked in time with no further aging and the testing we do confirms that.

A buddy gave me a hop shot that he had for 2 years and it sat in my fridge for another year before I used it. It worked just fine.

Freezing it is a very good idea.

My LHBS said it is very unstable and that you can't store it at all once opened. However, I also found the following, so I'm not sure. I've considered buying bulk hop extract from here.

STORAGE:
YC-CO2 Hop Extract may be stored at room temperature or refrigerated and will remain stable for several
years.
When stored under the following conditions, the “Best Use Before Date” will be: - 5 Years between -3 and 5°C in closed Drums or Tins or
- 3 Years between 5 and 25°C in closed Drums or Tins.​

That's where I got mine from.

Thanks for finding that. Of course mine aren't stored in tin cans anymore, but I don't see why that would matter when freezing them. I see that they sell it in 55 gallon (!!) PET drums, so they are saying 5 years when frozen in the PET drums. I bet the syringes are PET, so I bet that's similar storage conditions.

Back