Anyone have an easy recipe for a newbie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
I'd like to get into grain brewing, can anyone recommend a easy recipe to start with?

I just built a 10 gallon MashTun.

Thanks

I would recommend doing a SMASH(Single Malt and Single Hop) 13lb Pale Malt and 1oz Cascade

Mash @150 for 60 minutes collect 7.5 gallons
SG 1.048

Boil 60 minutes add hops at beginning of boil

OG 1.059
ferment @67 degrees

FG 1.013

Adixon's recipe is probably about as good a starter as you could do ... simple and a great beer to practice your skills on. If you want something simple but with a little more of a twist I have a simple Cream Ale that I can't seem to keep around because everyone who comes over sucks it down faster than I can make it.

Domestic 2 Row -- 8 lbs.
Carapils -- 8 oz.
Flaked corn -- 2 lbs

Mash -- 152F -- 60 min.

Boil -- 60 min.

Cascade -- 1.5 oz -- 60 min.
Cascade -- 1 oz. -- 2 min.

BRY-97, US-05 or American Ale yeast (I prefer BRY-97)

Ferment 10-14 days at 65F
(optional) Rack to settling tank (5 gal. carboy) last 7 days

Cold crash at 35-40F for 2-3 days, bottle (approx. 5oz corn sugar) or keg

In reality, most recipes are easy. Start with a beer you like, not someone else's favorite. Choose one that is not too high in ABV because you might not be able to get the efficiency to make a big beer. All your grains are milled and put in the mash tun. One grain, 5 grains, doesn't make much difference. They all get mixed when you add them to the water.:ban:

BierMunchers Cream of 3 Crops is a good, easy, brew as well. It is an ale version of your standard adjunct beer and has more flavor too. I brewed it exactly as he did and ended up with 10 gallons of deliciousness (didnt realize I had bought ingredients for a 10 G batch). Was not too expensive in ingredients either.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

The Bee Cave Brewery Kolsch is a nice, easy, tasty recipe. You can simplify it further by using a single type of hop. I like the Wyeast Kolsch yeast 2565.

I have a super simple SMASH brew I created, it's great if you like pale ale.

12# Marris Otter
2oz Cascade hop

Mash at 150F for 90 minutes with 5 gal of water. Sparge at 170.
Hop schedule: 60 min 1 oz, 30 min 1/2 oz, flameout 1/2 oz (make sure that goes into the fermenter). Pitch with California Ale Yeast.

Let ferment out, rack to secondary for 5 days, then bottle or keg.

Second beirmuncher ' centennial blonde. It's always in the rotation and notty yeast is foolproof!

Sent from a cell phone...please excuse grammer and spellin'

I'll definitely try one of these. Just so I'm clear the BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Adixon's recipe and the simple Cream Ale recipe are all "no sparge" recipes and the last requires sparging...correct? So I assume that the first recipes would be a tad easier?

I really appreciate your help!

Any of the recipes would benefit from sparging which is a simple word to describe "rinsing the leftover sugars off the grain by using hot water".

You can no sparge any beer. If you have a spare pot you can do a batch s parge (basically drain tun, fill back up with the rest of your water at 170 degrees to get your pre-boil volume, stir and drain into pot for full boil).

I'll definitely try one of these. Just so I'm clear the BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Adixon's recipe and the simple Cream Ale recipe are all "no sparge" recipes and the last requires sparging...correct? So I assume that the first recipes would be a tad easier?

I really appreciate your help!

I can't speak about the others with any certainty, but I would guess that all AG recipes call for a sparge of some sort. My cream ale uses a simple batch sparge.

Mash with approx. 21 qts. at 165F. (1 1/2 qts per pound of grain + 4 qts for evaporation + 1 qt. for absorption) for 60 min. Vourlauf and then slowly drain off the mash. Add enough 170F sparge water to get 6 1/2 - 7 gal. wort. Hold 15 min. Vourlauf and drain off slowly into boil kettle.

Yea, I batch sparge them, usually twice to get my boil volume. But you definitely could do a biab no sparge style with any of these.

Sent from a cell phone...please excuse grammer and spellin'

I dont have any good recipes to add, but I just wanted to say kudos to OP for trying to come in simple to learn the process. You are on the right track!

I'll say that the SMaSH recipes above are great both from a flavor standpoint and from a educational standpoint; they will permit you to learn the tastes associated with each malt, hop, and yeast. They sound dirt simple, but they'll expose any flaws in your process and can produce mighty tasty beer. Beer is pretty simple stuff.

Centennial Blonde is *slightly* more complex, tailored to be a crowd-pleaser. And it is - folks that normally drink BMC from a can will drink it and be wowed, and folks that are into craftbrews will enjoy them too.

You might consider some smaller 5 gallon batches to explore these alternatives (unless you have a lot of friends/family willing to help dispose of your 10 gallon batches, if so, party on :rockin:).

Once you have your rig dialed in (practice is important), then look for the styles that you enjoy. Maybe you have a commercial brew that you enjoy - try to approximate it.

I don't think you should be attempting to clone beers forever, but trying this really forces you to taste and experience beer. What are the differences between the flavors and aromas? You may enjoy beer now, but you'll TASTE beer like never before as a AG brewer.

Bottom line: brew, brew, brew, and have fun!

+1 on a low cost, easy to make recipe....Centennial Blonde is a good example for that.

Your first AG, so your numbers are going to be off. Your going to be guessing at your mash eff, grain absorption, boil off amounts...so your gravity numbers are going to be off too.
So keep it simple and inexpensive the first couple of times. Take VERY detailed notes: times, temps, amounts, how much you missed a temp by, how much you missed a gravity by...even outside temp and wind speed as it effects your boil.
You WILL study those notes. I still do. And I compare new batches to old ones to compare what has changed, why, and how to adjust.

I have been brewing beer with extracts and grain bags for years, but, I've always wanted to get to the next step. I guess its okay to try and clone other beers for awhile to learn the "process", but my long term goal is to come up with my own recipes. That said, if one more person askes me to brew Budweiser I think I'll die! Why would I want to brew my least favorite beer when I can just go buy it in the store?... No offense to Bud lovers.

Thanks to member Acidrain, in the DIY forum, for sending me to Bobby M at Brewhardware.com my Mash Tun leak is fixed. I think all I need now is a better thermometer. I'm looking at the ChefAlarm at Themoworks. com.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html

In reality, most recipes are easy. Start with a beer you like, not someone else's favorite. Choose one that is not too high in ABV because you might not be able to get the efficiency to make a big beer. All your grains are milled and put in the mash tun. One grain, 5 grains, doesn't make much difference. They all get mixed when you add them to the water.:ban:

Great advice.. Find a beer or ale that you like and look into buying an all grain clone "kit". They are usually pretty good and will come with a suitable
yeast.

They will also have fairly good directions, however before you brew ask the forum as sometimes the directions tend to rush things along.

When checking back always include the grains being used as well as the yeast, this way you will get better answers to your questions.

OMO

bosco

Latest posts

Back