Anyone have a True beverage cooler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcartt11

Reaction score
New to the site and have found lots of great info here over the last few days. One thing I haven't found much info on however is commercial beverage coolers. I currently have a side by side refrigerator in my garage that I use as my "beer fridge". It isn't really large enough to store a lot of bottles and I have recently been looking for a more commercial style beverage cooler on craigslist. True brand seems to one of the most popular commercial manufacturers and I have found several available in my area. I am just wondering if anyone has a True cooler? If you have one does it cost a lot more to run it than a standard fridge? Have you had to have any repairs and were repairs expensive? Any other things that I need to consider before buying?

One cool thing about commercial coolers is that they can be worked on. Cheap ones can't be refilled with refrigerant like the commercial coolers. One should last a lifetime.

One cool thing about commercial coolers is that they can be worked on. Cheap ones can't be refilled with refrigerant like the commercial coolers. One should last a lifetime.

Never really thought about that, but I guess you are right. At least one of the ones I am looking at on CL says it isn't working. I assume that here are various companies out here that can work on them, but I just wonder how expensive that is. If I save a couple hundred bucks going with the one that needs fixing, but it costs several hundred to fix, then I would be bummed. Probably going to go with one that is in good working order and just hope it doesn't break down.

Get a model number an call a shop an see what a new compressor and refrigerant refill would cost. I would guess $150-200. But bargain the price down $3-400 below the prices of the working units because it doesn't work. It could be a very simple repair and cost very little.

Good Luck! I have been wanting one for a while. Here is a neat twist on a commercial fridge: http://tucson.craigslist.org/app/4341030053.html

Or you could go with a perlick brand... http://tucson.craigslist.org/app/4345878592.html

I have a True Kegerator. I got it for free off of craigslist because it wouldn't cool. I replaced the thermostat for $40 and it works great. Very simple and easy to work on.

It doesn't cost much to run, however, because it is a commercial appliance, it is louder than a regular refrigerator.

I work for red bull and all of our coolers are made by true. It's a gamble. I've had some accounts coolers last 5+ years and they work great. Others last 2 weeks and need a repairman, and they are expensive to have someone else fix them. They charge redbull like $200 just to show up plus parts. But like I said we've had others last forever with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone

What are the True Coolers going for where you are? I have one locally that I might pickup. I haven't decided yet.

I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area and have seen ads in CL for anywhere from $400 on up to $1500 for 2 door models and $2500 for 3 door models. All the ads say they are working and so I assume that price differences must be primarily about the age/condition.

I am also considering building a keezer, but to be honest, I really like drinking my homebrew from bottles. I figure even if I start kegging I will bottle beer to give to friends or travel with.

Back