anyone have a good corona clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a search for a Mexican Cerveza clone and this thread popped up. After reading through the thread I'm realizing that this may not be a good choice for my first attempt at beer. (I have up to now only done wine and mead)

I also see that this thread has not been resurrected in almost two years, so here goes....bump.

I brewed a 5.6% cream ale last year, using about 78% pilsner malt, 3.5% acid malt, and 19% rice. I cooked the rice in a gallon of the strike water, but you could use Minute Rice or flaked rice. 27 IBU of Sorachi Ace hops, and fermented with German Ale yeast.

If you made something similar, but scale it back to about 4.8% ABV and 20 IBU you might be close. But don't use Sorachi Ace, use something more German, like Tettnang or Hallertau.

I also suspect Mexicans use corn instead of rice for the adjunct, but I don't know.

Last edited:
I brewed a 5.6% cream ale last year, using about 78% pilsner malt, 3.5% acid malt, and 19% rice. I cooked the rice in a gallon of the strike water, but you could use Minute Rice or flaked rice. 27 IBU of Sorachi Ace hops, and fermented with German Ale yeast.

If you made something similar, but scale it back to about 4.8% ABV and 20 IBU you might be close. But don't use Sorachi Ace, use something more German, like Tettnang or Haullertau (sp?)

I also suspect Mexicans use corn instead of rice for the adjunct, but I don't know.

Corona uses corn supposedly.

The only beer that my wife likes is Corona. Does anyone have a good recipe for a home brew that would taste like Corona? There is a mix on the market called le corona but it does not include an upgrade for liquid yeast. It seems to me that liquid yeast is better....am I correct?:mug: :mug: :confused:
Here are my thoughts on my Rocky Point CervezAle

Grain bill
5# American 2 row
5# American Pilsner
1# Flaked corn

Misc.
32 oz Agave nectar - 15min boil

Hops
1 oz Hallertau - 60 min boil
1 oz Citra - Flame out

Dry hop - 7 days Secondary
1 oz Dried lime zest
1 oz Corriander
(Sterilzed in 1 oz Silver Tequila)

Yeast
US-05

5 oz Agave nectar for bottle priming

Last edited:
I have to bump this again because I just read the whole thread because I was also curious if I can also make a Corona style beer, all grain. I love British and German beers but I also love Corona with a lime on a hot day. It is my "lawnmower" thirst quencher of choice, much better than BMC (or in the case of us Finns, Koff-Karhu-Karjala beers) and snobs can kindly **** off with what they think about this.

Anyway, what I found surprising about these clone recipes is that they are pretty much spot on to Cream Ale recipes, just fermented as Lagers and not Ales. 70-80% pale malt, 20-30% Corn and maybe a touch of rice is the typical Cream Ale recipe that I can see. Switch the yeast into Lager and BAM, the recipe turns into a random "Corona clone" from the internet. And yet I do not see similar snobby behaviour against Cream ales like I do see against Mexican beers. Why is that?

BTW thanks to everyone who took time to write their recipes. I copied a few of them and intent to try them out when possible.

I have to bump this again because I just read the whole thread because I was also curious if I can also make a Corona style beer, all grain. I love British and German beers but I also love Corona with a lime on a hot day. It is my "lawnmower" thirst quencher of choice, much better than BMC (or in the case of us Finns, Koff-Karhu-Karjala beers) and snobs can kindly **** off with what they think about this.

Anyway, what I found surprising about these clone recipes is that they are pretty much spot on to Cream Ale recipes, just fermented as Lagers and not Ales. 70-80% pale malt, 20-30% Corn and maybe a touch of rice is the typical Cream Ale recipe that I can see. Switch the yeast into Lager and BAM, the recipe turns into a random "Corona clone" from the internet. And yet I do not see similar snobby behaviour against Cream ales like I do see against Mexican beers. Why is that?

BTW thanks to everyone who took time to write their recipes. I copied a few of them and intent to try them out when possible.

Cream ales are essentially lagers done with an ale yeast, and sometimes layered afterwards.

No I think that is Steam Ale. Ales done with lager yeast but fermented at room temp.

The cream ale recipe I’ve been brewing for years, and pretty much every other cream ale recipe I’ve seen, uses a lager yeast. I usually use 34/70 but have also used WY 2112.

California Common, AKA steam beer, is also an ale fermented with lager yeast at ale temps.

The cream ale recipe I’ve been brewing for years, and pretty much every other cream ale recipe I’ve seen, uses a lager yeast. I usually use 34/70 but have also used WY 2112.

California Common, AKA steam beer, is also an ale fermented with lager yeast at ale temps.

Cream ales are like kolsch in that they are originally (though the category is so broad nowadays like most) lager style beer made using top fermenting ale yeast.

https://www.americancraftbeer.com/what-the-hell-is-a-cream-ale/

https://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php

The thinking mans response to the above is a Quote from MLK JR. . . .

Free at last! Free at last! Thank the Lord all mighty I'm free at last!

OMFG USMCRUZ is back!!!
Seriously, quit with the buzz kill, nothing worse then harsh bud . . . err brew talk.[

Last edited:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the recipe for Corona to mix 1 can of Buttwiper, 1 can of Swiller, and 1 can of Soors and mix in 5 gals of water, add in 1 packet of dry yeast and ferment in full sunlight?:drunk:
Unfunny beer snob.

have you guys actually tried an unskunked Corona? it's actually not that bad, I love them on a hot day

8ed4847c8ffa3e9cbdef77cbc7822c93.jpg

Brown bottle (not skunked).

Cerveza-clara-Corona-extra-6-latas-de-355-ml-c-u.jpg

For 4 bucks per six or a buck per "caguama" (big brown bottle). Why you would like to make a clone?

PS: Im the past I've been to a Modelo plant and they were brewing a Corona at the time, basically they use six row pale malt and corn. Don't use fresh neither pellet hops, they use saaz hop oil, and that's it...

Last edited by a moderator:
All I taste with Corona is the skunk, but I've only had it from a clear bottle. It probably starts out as decent beer but I've never sought out cans to test that; if I want canned macro lager I buy Hamm's or Busch on sale.

I refuse to buy bottled beer in clear or green glass. Cans only if they have a visibly printed date indicating freshness.
Some of the Mexican beer (Modelo Especial) is, in my opinion, superior to American lagers and I think the hate for Mexican extra light lagers stems from the lightstruck quality and a perceived lack of body.
I bottle my low SRM beers made at home with noble varieties (Saaz, Liberty) and do blondes with a rare Citra sometimes, taking pains to avoid the light simply because I believe skunking is a flaw in light beers. The lighter SRM, low ABV beers don't tend to age well unless you store them properly.

Back