Anyone got an approximate evaporation rate for a 10 gallon Bayou Classic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8gallonalchemy

Reaction score
Just got a 10 gallon Bayou Classic kettle and I'm trying to plan volumes. It seems a popular kettle, anyone got a rough evaporation rate for it?

0.7 to 0.8 gallons lost per hour of boil time would be my initial guess for a low to low/moderate boil rate. A more robust boil will drive off yet more water as steam.

The evaporation rate for the kettle is exactly zero. Now if we knew what you will be heating it with we could try and answer your question meaningfully...

It depends on how vigorously you plan to boil the wort. When I did a vigorous boil in a 10-gallon kettle, I'd expect approximately a 1-gallon boil off per hour. Now that I'm doing more of a simmer, it's more like a half-gallon per hour.

If you're unsure, put some water in the kettle and boil for half an hour, see what you get for boil off, then multiply by 2.

Fill the kettle with water and boil for an hour. See how much you lose.

Edit: I missed mongoose's last line above. Half hour boil works too if you do the multiplier.

Hmmm...maybe I boil to hard. I have a 10 gal kettle (that is wider than most) and I use a propane burner. I plan for a 1 gal per hour boil off. If I need to gather more wort pre-boil to hit my gravity target I will turn up the boil to get 1.5 gal per hour.

If you don't want to test, you could plug in a low-ish value (say 0.7 gal/hr) then add water to hit your target volume and adjust your boil off rate moving forward based on that.

I have a 10 gallon pot and because I get sputtering and possible flame going out I boil fairly vigorously. It doesn't seem much more than most videos but my boil off rate is 2 gallons per hour.

I have an 11 gal Bayou Classic with 5500 kW electric element. If I want to reduce volume at high boil, I can get rid of about a gallon in an hour. I'm thinking max boil with my electric element is more vigorous than max with flame.

If I'm just doing my regular hour boil, I only lose maybe .4 gal. Again, might differ from flame.

Back