Anyone from Rhode Island

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffd520

Reaction score
So just found out that I my work might have me move from Nashville TN to Woonsocket RI. Anyone have any usefully info on the area. (my big concern is the weather as I have always lived in the south).

I am a transplant from the south to New England.. I live a few miles outside of RI, but I use the airport all the time so I am in and out of the state constantly.

Nashville and RI is relatively similar in temperature and overall winter climate. I was just at a sales meeting in Nashville and it was warmer in Providence.

Welcome to New England!

Weather comparison of the two areas..

http://outflux.net/weather/noaa/index.php?cities[]=NASHVILLE%2CTN&cities[]=PROVIDENCE%2CRI&compare[]=2&compare[]=3&compare[]=4&compare[]=5&compare[]=8&sa=Compare+Cities!&cx=partner-pub-0271172053863578%3A3880711149&ie=UTF-8&q=%22NASHVILLE%2C+TN%22+%22PROVIDENCE%2C+RI%22+&cof=GALT%3A%230066CC%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%23999999%3BVLC%3A336633%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3AFF9900%3BALC%3A0066CC%3BLC%3A0066CC%3BT%3A000000%3BGFNT%3A666666%3BGIMP%3A666666%3BFORID%3A9

Well I'm not from RI, but Groton, Ct is close enough. First decent snow happened today and we've got about 6 inches so far. I'm quite far from Woonsocket, but it should be fairly similar. It doesn't really get super cold here, lowest I've seen is teens. Summers are going to treat you better than anything in the south ever has, though it can still get quite hot some days. I don't know how it is around Woonsocket, but the homebrew scene around here is decent. Not too many clubs, but quite a few shops. Anything else you would like to know?

Woonsocket is an s-hole just an fyi. Id either live in a better town around it or right over the border in MA.

My brother was transferred to RI this fall. He works in Woonsocket, but didn't want to live there based on what a number of his co-workers had said and his own observation. He lives on N. Kingston and says his commute is about 35 mins. Well worth it he says because he likes where he lives. I've visited and I have to agree.

Definitely don't move to Woonsocket, turning worse day by day. Also, all of RI is going down the crapper lately... At least that's what my in-laws keep telling me. They've lived in Woonsocket all their life.

Also, depending on if you are moving with a significant other I don't think there are much employment opportunities.

I live in Woonsocket...not by choice. Look into moving to the surrounding towns such as North Smithfield, Lincoln, Cumberland. Definitely do not buy a home in Woonsocket. Has one of the highest tax rates in the state and the public schools are crap.

Well thanks for all the info I should know within a week or two a definate answer though.

Live in RI for 15yrs, Glocester. Wife has lived here her whole life. Any questions I'm sure I got you covered. Work is Woonsocket but live somewhere else. The state is small you could live almost anywhere, even MA with less then 20min commute. PM me if you like.

Back