Anyone feel like doing a sticky on grain crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairdo

Reaction score
My MM2 is due any day now so have been trying to find pictures that define a 'good looking crush'. I inspected the last crush from my LHBS and there were quite a lot of husks cracked/opened but not separated from the endosperm (sorry wished I'd take a picture for reference).

I know there are threads about on this subject but it would be great if someone experienced could provide pics of grain crush from a LHBS that yielded (or you know would yield) a low mash efficiency verses a crush from their own mill that significantly improved efficiency - I'm not talking pulverized, just a conservative crush that consistently yields good results.

I'm sure it would be a popular sticky!

It's crazy the difference this can make. I'm just using a Victoria mill and my first few brews were good but not my efficiency is through the roof.

I'd be interested in seeing a sticky. I just got a mill and I've set it to .033, but I'm worried that will be too fine for my round mash tun/false bottom.

You could also get some sifters/sieves of different sizes. From a commercial brewing class I took, they recommended: US Sieve Numbers: 7 (husks), 30 (coarse grits), 37 (fine grits), 40 (coarse flour), pan (flour). After crushing, about 80% of the material (as measured by weight) should be in the first two sieves.

You could also get some sifters/sieves of different sizes. From a commercial brewing class I took, they recommended: US Sieve Numbers: 7 (husks), 30 (coarse grits), 37 (fine grits), 40 (coarse flour), pan (flour). After crushing, about 80% of the material (as measured by weight) should be in the first two sieves.
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.

I dont think having your own mill will make better beer on its own but the ability to have one more thing consistent and in your control will.

Latest posts

Back