Anyone ever use Nalgene bottles as growlers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only thing i know about nalgene is that it can release a chemical that is bad for women. any plastic would work i suppose, but your going to want something that can seal /w pressure to keep your carb until you wan to drink it. My advice would be 2 liter soda bottles. Works really well for short term storage. I do it all the time for cookouts and such. if you want to pressureize it get a carbonator, they rock!!

Also soda is (i think) carbed up to 4 volumes, so you know it'll hold under pressure. and you can buy 2 liters of off brand soda at walmart for 88 cents. 5 bucks and your set for the weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OKADS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used a klean kanteen(similar to nalgene) as a growler and it worked. You probably want to try to keep the headspace to a minimum, finish it once you open it, and maybe overcarb it a bit before filling. You are pretty much fighting a losing battle to keep carbonation.

Techbrewie has a point. Pop bottles are probably just as good and have the benefit of being crush able if you are backpacking with them.

Latest posts

Back